Child taken off plane because mother slapped her...

If you look at animals, they DO smack, kick or bare teeth at their youngsters or anyone else's youngsters for getting out of line. Some would die from the wrath, like the elephants and chimps which have a higher incidence of killing or nearly killing their kids.

Sometimes bad upbringings could affect their parenting skills but they learn as they go along. I had a good mare that had a colt that just nips his mother twice in the hocks while she flatten her ears as a warning. The third time, she kicked him off his feet and he quit biting her and the others. Some example, huh?

All I was saying is that it's not going to help anything. It just gives them bad messages forever drilled into their brains and then 13 years later these kids en up joining gangs and beating someone to death.

That message stays the same whether it's a 13 month old or a 130 month old.

I have a child with Asbergers and understand the need for discipline, but a 13 month old is really young. In the face is not acceptable. Yes, it is difficult to disciplining your child these days, you simply can't without someone not being at ease with it. Spanking seems to be a thing of the past even though it sometimes be needed. However, there is a proper way to discipline and acting out of anger and smacking is not the way.

Yes the child probably should have gone to see a doctor after the dog bite, however as a parent of three I understand that sometimes when an injury occurs you tend to way back and forth wether or not you should take a trip to the ER or not.

It seem like a horrible story being an onlooker but again from the press you only here the worst of the story and not the whole thing.

Yes the child probably should have gone to see a doctor after the dog bite, however as a parent of three I understand that sometimes when an injury occurs you tend to way back and forth wether or not you should take a trip to the ER or not

Absolutely. My 4 year old surprised a very old dog that was one of my friends, and he turned around and snapped at him. I tried to grab him before he landed the bearhug on the dog, but wasn't fast enough. The resulting swelling and black eye wasn't enough to warrant an ER visit. It was, however, a very good time to teach my four year old a valuable lesson about dogs you don't know. Granted, the dog shouldn't have snapped, but it was a 13 year old half-blind half-deaf arthritic German Shepherd. I blamed myself more than the dog. Not trying to advocate for the parents, just making a point about dog bites/etc. For me, it's another strike against the parent, as a 13 month old shouldn't have been unattended around a dog anyway.

My kids do get a swat on the backside if the situation requires it. Like the afternoon they stole the tractor key and tried to drive to Gramma's house. You better believe they got a good smack.

But, that being said, I have, at no time ever slapped one of my children on the face. Especially at 13 months.

Blessings-
Em​

Despite the several attempts above to rationalise physical child abuse it is in fact no more than, at the least, an admission of failure by the parent and, at the worst, an outlet for the parent's anger. A beaten child will learn only to submit to fear and will, in turn, probably beat his own children.

Hitting a child is a lazy shortcut to controlling him. It may have a short terms gain for the parent but is also likely to be a lasting blow to the child's self esteem, especially if the abuse is repeated. The better method is to take each naughty episode as an opportunity to teach the child in a way that will benefit him positively. But that takes time and a bit of skill which lazy, stressed parents don't think they have.

You can't walk down the street and smack someone else's child for being naughty so why should you be allowed to hit your own? Those who advocate violence, do you see your children as possessions to do with as you wish or are they perhaps human beings with the same rights as everyone else?

Quote:
I agree. Spanking is an anger thing. It just helps the parent vent. If you wait till you have cooled down to spank the child it means that you could have found a better way to handle the situation. I can at least understand spanking a child in anger. I can't condone it but I can understand someone losing it. Children can really push the buttons sometimes. those Loove and Logic classes give out a lot of good information. Of course it takes a lot more effort than spanking does.

Quote:
Yep. I also think that there needs to be some education into how a child's brain develops. At 13 months old they do NOT have the capacity to understand that screaming causes physical pain. Crying is their way of communicating, sometimes for wants, sometimes for needs, and always when they are in pain. Therefor, causing them yet MORE reason to cry will not help. They don't have adequate language skills at that age to communicate in more clear ways, crying is their best and really only tool to make sure that their needs are met. Their minds are not that of tiny, miniature adults and trying to treat them as if they are will only fail, dismally.

As to the Stewardess' response, one has to remember that she saw a screaming/distressed infant with a black eye in the company of a man who is yelling at a woman, who then smacks the child across the face with enough force to elicit complaints from other passengers. It must have been quite the image and would SCREAM abuse to me. She had guts and did the right thing.

Quote:
Could you imagine that. Your kid keeps talking when you tell him to stop. After the 3rd time you just haul off and kick him in the butt. We have a filly that likes to jump up on her mom. The Mom nips her to keep her in line. Of course she does kick her when she doesn't want to be suckled. Of course animals can't talk or punish their kids in non physical manners.

Heres my opinion:
Spanking IS sometimes warranted.. for an OLDER child. NEVER with a belt or any object though... (just my opinion)..
Also spanking does NOT work for every child....
Each child responds differently to it...
But to smack a 13 month old in the face?? Come on.. thats just sick.
13 month old babies do NOT have the brain capacity to understand they are doing wrong...
Its kinda like beating your dog... they just dont understand WHY you're HURTING them...

Last edited:
Quote:
The key to using spanking as punishment is telling the child they are going to receive one, let them go to their room and think about it for an hour and then deliver the punishment. A person should never spank while they are angry (my opinion) because that defeats the purpose. A child needs to know that the spanking is a punishment that they deserve for their actions, not because the parent is angry.

Slapping anyone in the face, at any age, is unacceptable. In fact, it is a chargeable offense at any age.

Back
Top Bottom