Chinese goose egg - how many days until hatch?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I *think* Chinese goose… they’re white with red bills [shrugs]. A week ago I got six of these eggs from a friends whose goose hatched a few and abandoned the rest. I have a tiny bantam chicken sitting on the three that ended up being viable.

Today I noticed that the egg that had the most advanced development started draw down. Does any one know approx how many days it might be until hatch?

Attachments

• 95143268-152F-4A0D-96AD-D53D532B6192.jpeg
    95143268-152F-4A0D-96AD-D53D532B6192.jpeg
    909.1 KB · Views: 185
Eggs set at the same time will not necessarily draw down at the same time, but it's probably safe to assume that the egg is within 5 days of hatching (and possibly less).

The eggs from my geese take about 30 days to hatch, and I stop turning at day 25. Before I lock them down, some will have begun drawing down.

Best wishes for a great hatch!

Eggs set at the same time will not necessarily draw down at the same time, but it's probably safe to assume that the egg is within 5 days of hatching (and possibly less).

The eggs from my geese take about 30 days to hatch, and I stop turning at day 25. Before I lock them down, some will have begun drawing down.

Best wishes for a great hatch!
Thank you! I’m hoping I’ll get at least one successful hatch. :fl

Geese can take awhile to hatch after internal pip. Sometimes a few days! You might even hear them chirping from inside in the meantime.
@FoodFreedomNow @Jenbirdee @Miss Lydia @BirdsBeesTrees

I shouldn’t be, incase none end up hatching but I’m so excited already!

@FoodFreedomNow
The egg has externally pipped (through the air cell), I’m some what concerned because
1) I didn’t see an internal pip when candling yesterday - just shadowing
2) my bantam hen is still getting up twice a day to eat and drink.

I’m a little worried that the chick will end up being shrink wrapped. Is there anything I can do as a preventative measure?

According to the weather forecast, humidity outside is at 58% and rising, average humidity throughout the day is 74%

random note: I’m so used to chicken/ quail eggs that this big pip crack is shocking to me 😅

Attachments

• B188DAC2-5ED3-4DFE-8E90-7225CFA321E0.jpeg
    B188DAC2-5ED3-4DFE-8E90-7225CFA321E0.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 9
A big external pip in a goose egg is a good thing. :D Did it make it all the way through the shell? If not, you may want to carefully make a small hole in the outer membrane at the pip point to ensure it has plenty of air while it prepares to hatch.

I wouldn't worry too much about shrinkwrapping - personally, I think that the risk may be overstated in many cases. Goslings take a long time (compared to chickens) to hatch, so it may be a day or two before you see zipping. The broody getting up periodically shouldn't be a problem unless she's away for an unreasonably lengthy period, like hours.

How exciting that the gosling is in the homestretch! :clap

A big external pip in a goose egg is a good thing. :D Did it make it all the way through the shell? If not, you may want to carefully make a small hole in the outer membrane at the pip point to ensure it has plenty of air while it prepares to hatch.

I wouldn't worry too much about shrinkwrapping - personally, I think that the risk may be overstated in many cases. Goslings take a long time (compared to chickens) to hatch, so it may be a day or two before you see zipping. The broody getting up periodically shouldn't be a problem unless she's away for an unreasonably lengthy period, like hours.

How exciting that the gosling is in the homestretch! :clap
Okay, I took a really small piece of shell off, made a tiny hole with a large needle and affixed the shell back on loosely with a tiny bit of wax. This excitement isnt good for my heart…! :wee

I brought it inside my makeshift incubator this morning for humidity control since i could see a bit of yellowing on the inner membrane and was a bit concerned.

And Oh my goshhhhhhh its zipping already??? this is happening too fast, I was expecting to be staring that that pip hole for at least another day. Maybe I missed an internal pip when I was candling???

(peeled away a bit of shell so it’s easier for the little one to unzip)

Attachments

• 6AE947B3-7D28-46AB-A615-D9EB8ADC35D2.jpeg
    6AE947B3-7D28-46AB-A615-D9EB8ADC35D2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom