Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

Hi all, I would love to join the CNY hatch. This will be my third time incubating in my home made bator. I will be setting 18 BLRW and Lavander Ameraucana's (not sure how many, haven't picked them up yet) and the rest will be from my own girls. My first hatch from Thanksgiving I got a 50% hatch from Bargain eggs and unfortunately for the NYD hatch I only got 4 out of 42 eggs set. So I found a couple of semi close breeders that I purchased eggs from. So after a couple of tweeks to my bator and the rest of my eggs, I will be ready to go.

Here's to everyone having a great hatch.
fl.gif

Quote:
My NYD hatch was my second try at incubating and my hatching incubator is a small freezer I converted. There was absolutely no way I was going through that a second time without a window. I put in a dual pane fiberglass window. I love it.

I am still only going to hatch some of my backyard eggs (mutts) to improve my incubating before I buy any more eggs.
So, I think chicken math is attacking. I lost 3 hens, 1 rooster and 5 ducks to I think coyote(s) this morning. At least the dogs chased one out of the yard that was finising off the roo. Even though I am hatching these eggs, I cant seem to get my mind off buying a few chicks locally to replace the girls (I do have to admit the rooster was slated for freezer camp for being a flogging sneak) and ording ducklings. I did find and fix the part of the fence the chickens were getting out. I have been going all over the place helping friends and had not gotten it done sooner, so my fault, but not going to happen again to the best of my ability.

so soory for your loss...
hugs.gif

Quote:
"or anything??" Nooooo, not YOU, wolfy! *snort!*

hide.gif
just trying to help.

I have some eggies coming! Hopefully they'll be here in time.

I think I need to start ordering breeds I don't like so I can start selling some to pay the feed bill.

My button quail eggs are officially paid for and in the mail. i will be setting them around 1/16/11 or so to accomadate the faster hatch time. Anywhere from 18-22 days.

Quote:
Hmmmmm. Concept. Does that work?

I don't know but good in theory.

Once it pecks you over eggs or freaks out when you walk in I think it'd be a selling point.

Raise a couple of Coturnix Roos in your house and listen to them crow at 3:00 in the morning. You will want to sell your extras pretty quickly.

Quote:
I don't know but good in theory.

Once it pecks you over eggs or freaks out when you walk in I think it'd be a selling point.

Raise a couple of Coturnix Roos in your house and listen to them crow at 3:00 in the morning. You will want to sell your extras pretty quickly.

I actually want to raise quail. I think cats got to mine. Tore them up but didn't eat them.

I actually have a market for quail here so selling them wouldn't bother me since it was actually my plan. I just first wish I knew how the cats got into the garage but also how they got into the cages and then out again. The neighbor moved out and left her chickens and cats behoind while she had her house rebuilt. They've been running around the neighborhood for months. Finally got my quail and now I have to start over.

There's a man near me that sells 7000 every 6 weeks at $3 a piece. He doesn't want to raise more than that and can't keep up with demand. I have another man trying to help me get together with him for some help. So far it's been too hard to get hold of either. I can't imagine someone making that much money on them, but I know there are people who do. That's a lot of birds. I don't want that many mostly because I don't have the space, but can you imagine????

Quote:

I actually want to raise quail. I think cats got to mine. Tore them up but didn't eat them.

I actually have a market for quail here so selling them wouldn't bother me since it was actually my plan. I just first wish I knew how the cats got into the garage but also how they got into the cages and then out again. The neighbor moved out and left her chickens and cats behoind while she had her house rebuilt. They've been running around the neighborhood for months. Finally got my quail and now I have to start over.

There's a man near me that sells 7000 every 6 weeks at $3 a piece. He doesn't want to raise more than that and can't keep up with demand. I have another man trying to help me get together with him for some help. So far it's been too hard to get hold of either. I can't imagine someone making that much money on them, but I know there are people who do. That's a lot of birds. I don't want that many mostly because I don't have the space, but can you imagine????

Sounds like Rats got them. It has happened to my doves before with a pet rat that escaped and also a goose with a wild rat.

There is a demand for quail I won't deny that. I just need a bigger outdoor pen for them to keep up with the demand for eggs and meat. Coturnix are where the demand is, but it's not as simple as just raising them and hatching out babies to sell. You have to find the market. Shipping them around the country is the way to go with large numbers.

I actually preffer them as meat birds over chickens. The meat is better, they are cleaner, and they eat way less and take up less space. they can also be cudly at times like chickens can.

Well, I was hoping to be able to join the CNY hatch but the best I will be able to do is a week early... Unfortunately, just as I was setting the eggs I already had out, my girls decided they were going to completely stop laying for whatever reason!!! I've bumped up their protein intake, have a light out there, tried talking to them and even tried threatening them but nothing is working.. I checked them all out two nights ago and no one is eggbound so I guess maybe it's just too cold or something... So, unless i come across a few eggs before thursday, I guess i will just be hatching early... Either way, go ahead and count me in!
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom