Chocolate roo over Jubilee hen?

Cole Campbell

Chirping
Aug 22, 2019
Hi all! I was wondering the genetic results from crossing a chocolate roo to a Jubilee hen. I just wanted to see if my assumptions are correct as far as possible offspring.

Jubilee is a variant of the mottle gene, which is recessive. Thus no mottling would be passed to the offspring, but they would all be split to mottling. Chocolate is a sex linked gene, so father will pass to daughter, and the sons will carry chocolate but will not show it until crossed with another chocolate or split to chocolate.
Soooo- offspring should be 25% chocolate pullets, split to mottle. And the rest of the offspring would be black orpingtons, split to chocolate and mottling. Is this correct? Thanks in advance for any corrections. I’m trying to learn!

All pullets will carry and express chocolate.
Cockerels will carry one chocolate gene but won't express it.
All will carry one mottling gene but not express it.
There will be more going on with leakage etc. but won't get into all that.

All pullets will carry and express chocolate.
Cockerels will carry one chocolate gene but won't express it.
All will carry one mottling gene but not express it.
There will be more going on with leakage etc. but won't get into all that.
What kind of leakage would it cause? It would be from the Jubilee right? I know chocolate is black based diluted, so it shouldn’t cause leakage. Jubilee is the one that causes the leakage correct?

Yes the jubilee will cause it. Jubilee is partridge based with columbian, mahogany and mottling.
It would cause leakage and look simular to a black sex link hen but of course be chocolate instead of black.

Back
Top Bottom