Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Pics
Ok I have a question about the Chocolate gene. I've heard a few people saying that with Chocolates, that they have a hard time with moulting. I have 3 of them that look SO BAD right now :( Hardly any feathers at all & its been months! Juliette recommend I got Avio Moult, which I ordered and have been giving it to them for over a week now. I haven't noticed any change yet though. Anybody else have similiar problems? When will they get their feathers back? I was out taking pictures of them today to post them & their chicks but the parents are horrible :( I will post pictures later tonight though :/ poor things...
My chocolates have never had issues with molt. They lose a feather here and there but nothing different than the others. You can shorten molt by increasing protein in the diet, I use a 30% game bird breeder by Purina.

Updated pics of my little "Mauve" pullet. I've been told by many she was not mauve as a chick but I'm sticking to my guns that she is mauve. The blue is very obvious at 4 months. I'm curious if she's so heavy on the chocolate because her mother was a "midnight blue"? Thoughts?

Updated pics of my little "Mauve" pullet. I've been told by many she was not mauve as a chick but I'm sticking to my guns that she is mauve. The blue is very obvious at 4 months. I'm curious if she's so heavy on the chocolate because her mother was a "midnight blue"? Thoughts?
Definitely Mauve! I've hatched Mauve Araucana cross chicks. No idea about the midnight blue. What colors are her parents?

Definitely Mauve! I've hatched Mauve Araucana cross chicks. No idea about the midnight blue. What colors are her parents?
YAY! I'm so glad that you agree with me on her being Mauve. Her father is a silver duckwing chocolate and her mother is a super dark "midnight blue". The darkest blue I've ever seen. My thoughts are that the intensity of the chocolate lacing is coming from this. Out of 25 or so birds hatched from this pair, this is the only one that is Mauve... so that is a bit disappointing. I'm too obsessed with this color now however. hahahha

YAY! I'm so glad that you agree with me on her being Mauve. Her father is a silver duckwing chocolate and her mother is a super dark "midnight blue". The darkest blue I've ever seen. My thoughts are that the intensity of the chocolate lacing is coming from this. Out of 25 or so birds hatched from this pair, this is the only one that is Mauve... so that is a bit disappointing. I'm too obsessed with this color now however. hahahha

You need to post a picture of that chocolate duckwing and the midnight blue. I would like to see them.

Breed her back to her sire then, the hardest part is done (getting a chocolate duckwing pattern). You could get solid mauve, solid chocolate, chocolate silver duckwing or mauve duckwing If there is any doubt about your chocolates or mauves, that will stop the doubt

Last edited:
Breed her back to her sire then, the hardest part is done (getting a chocolate duckwing pattern). You could get solid mauve, solid chocolate, chocolate silver duckwing or mauve duckwing If there is any doubt about your chocolates or mauves, that will stop the doubt
Fortunately I started my Serama project with 2 chocolate and a black. I've produced alot of chocolate... the midnight blue came in from Jerry S. My breeding with her has been limited but out of 25 or so hatched this year I've only got one mauve... well.. that I'm aware of. :) There's something about chocolate that just fascinates me to no end. Besides it gorgeous coloration of course. I really like this girl and REALLY wish I could get more of her. The quest has been formed!

I LOVE this book, well worth the money!

Juliette
Do you know where I might find a book or link on all the information about Seramas? I've been reading all that I come across and recently, FINALLY, was able to obtain some Seramas that I have so desperately wanted for so long!! I would like to be as educated as possible on these wonderful birds!! I am looking to start breeding in the future. I have 14 right now.
My main concern presently is how many can I put together in 1 pen?
Thanks if you/anyone can help.
Patches

Back
Top Bottom