Cholesterol

desertgirl

Roo Magnet
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Albuquerque,NM
Hi!
I think I read somewhere that not only are our chicken's eggs yummier and free of all those nasty chemicals, but that (if fed a healthy,organic diet) they are low in cholesterol as well.

Is this just wishfull halluccinating on my part?
hmm.png

Mother Earth News did an article sometime in the last year with a lot of good info. I'm pretty sure there are links here if you do a search for cholesterol.

Cholesterol is NOT the villain that the pharmaceutical industry would like for you to believe. It's a component in cell membranes and the starting point for the synthesis of other hormones.

Please, please read this article at Weston A. Price Foundation. It's an excellent website and you might find a local WAP chapter near you...check the upper right area of the homepage. So, enjoy eating real eggs and butter!

Agreed. But there are those that are hyperlipidemic, and I would love to say to those folks-just raise your own healthy chickens....cholesterol is not a problem. I tried a search, but didn't have any luck...

I look at it this way... my Ol' Granny is 95 years old... survived the depression when who knows what they had to eat, country living, to this day has coffee, eggs, and bacon for breakfast... not to mention biscuits, ham, etc.

Ol' Papa lived to 85, same diet, but add in a trip to the war, losing a leg to alcohol abuse, and smoking like a chimney...
Memaw (mom's side Great Gran) is still kicking (and HARD) at 87... her hubby still does calisthenics at 84...

These folks also eat 'country'... Mems actually tends to eat dessert first because "you never know when you're gonna die"
(If you're gonna drop may as well be with chocolate pie as your last taste)

Meanwhile, yuppies are dropping like flies from heart disease before they reach 65... 55... 45...

Coincidence? I think not.

I read that article from Mother Earth News awhile ago. And I thought it did say that "backyard chicken" eggs were healthier. If I remember correctly -- I thought they were higher in Omega 3s also. And I don't think a "country" diet is bad. It's about simplicity. Look at the ingredients on even just a loaf of white bread from the store and then look at what you use to make white bread at home (same idea goes for many things). I prefer whole wheat, but you get the idea. Even if you make sweets at home there's a lot less junk in them than store bought. I don't like to eat things that have ingredients that I can't pronounce.
wink.png

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/279937/the_benefits_of_backyard_eggs_eggs.html

"Backyard
eggs have approximately twenty-five percent more vitamin E, seventy-five percent more beta carotene, and as much as twenty times the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids as do factory farmed
eggs.

Perhaps best of all for those who avoid eating eggs due to worries about cholesterol, backyard eggs contain only about half as much cholesterol as factory farmed eggs."

http://articles.glenns-garden.com/A...hickens-to-Your-Organic-Vegetable-Garden.html

"If you are watching your cholesterol, the backyards eggs help you tremendously by contributing to your good fat and contributing far lower amounts of cholesterol than store bought, factory eggs. "

http://my.kitchengardeners.org/group/thepeckingorder/forum/topics/freerangeback-yard-chicken

"Our testing has found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene"

This last article links to the Mother Earth News article.

I was at dinner last night and my friend was talking about how he barely eats eggs because of the cholesterol, while he was munching on fried cheese sticks and onion rings.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom