Choose my bantam chicks for me!!! 😃🎊

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
Hi BYC!! I will be ordering bantam day old pullets from Meyer (local for me 🙃) and I would love your input! I will probably get 4. I am not a bantam expert, so I need help!

1. I currently have all social/docile breeds and no rooster.
2.They will NOT have supplemental heat or light and I live in the Great Lakes area 🥶
3. They have a decent covered run, but free range 3-4 hours at least every other day on 3 acres of prairie/marshland. Guarded by a LGD.
4. Dark chocolate and blue eggs preferred but not required.

You guys pick and I will make progress posts along the way ❤️

Future big sister ⬇️
3ECF44C0-8E56-4363-A940-FF7C4BAA079A.jpeg

Hi BYC!! I will be ordering bantam day old pullets from Meyer (local for me 🙃) and I would love your input! I will probably get 4. I am not a bantam expert, so I need help!

1. I currently have all social/docile breeds and no rooster.
2.They will NOT have supplemental heat or light and I live in the Great Lakes area 🥶
3. They have a decent covered run, but free range 3-4 hours at least every other day on 3 acres of prairie/marshland. Guarded by a LGD.
4. Dark chocolate and blue eggs preferred but not required.

You guys pick and I will make progress posts along the way ❤

Future big sister ⬇View attachment 2438752
This will be fun!!

My favorite bantam chickens are old English game bantams. I’ve never had one, but bantam Cochins seem pretty cool, too. This sounds like fun!

After looking at the meyer options, I'd go with a bantam cochin, a silkie, a bantam polish, and a bantam barred rock or bantam brahma.

I have wanted a polish FOREVER - but are they cold hardy? I'm talking about 1 week every few years of polar vortex -15ish degrees (-30 wind chill, but they don't venture outside). My big girls have always done fine (orpingtons, etc. )

Back
Top Bottom