Christmas 2013 Hatch-A-Long!

Well, we do have 1 of the dozen or so we locked down.... An extra large Black Orpington. I believe we had an issue with temperature and the chicks got too large to position good... Here is the lucky little guy that made it.

Too high of humidity can cause drowning at end, full grown but die before getting out of egg... possible drowning from humidity too high? Especially with Marans, lower humidity and a little warmer is working out better for me? (Search dry incubation / hatch?)

Yes, they are developing fully, just not able to get out in time. I read the dry hatch method, I think I'm going to try that. We have a cabinet incubator and 4 little giants to hatch in. I'm just bummed we lost all of our Cream Legbars....

Yes, they are developing fully, just not able to get out in time. I read the dry hatch method, I think I'm going to try that. We have a cabinet incubator and 4 little giants to hatch in. I'm just bummed we lost all of our Cream Legbars....
hugs.gif
Sorry to hear that..

Well, we do have 1 of the dozen or so we locked down.... An extra large Black Orpington. I believe we had an issue with temperature and the chicks got too large to position good... Here is the lucky little guy that made it.
I am doing my first hatch ever. I got the incubator going days in advance and had it regulated nicely. I received my eggs (6 Lav Orp) with the box partially crushed. :barnie Got the eggs going and found that 3 were not fertile. Of the other three, one is definitely viable and growing, but the other two are harder for me to tell. As a newb I am finding it hard to know exactly what I am looking at. Plus, the light I am using for candling may not be the best. At day seven right now and crossing my fingers. :fl

I am doing my first hatch ever. I got the incubator going days in advance and had it regulated nicely. I received my eggs (6 Lav Orp) with the box partially crushed.
barnie.gif
Got the eggs going and found that 3 were not fertile. Of the other three, one is definitely viable and growing, but the other two are harder for me to tell. As a newb I am finding it hard to know exactly what I am looking at. Plus, the light I am using for candling may not be the best. At day seven right now and crossing my fingers.
fl.gif

If your light is underpowered, don't give up on an egg until 14 days, even with a low powered light, that's when you'll know for sure one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom