Christmas discussion!

Yay! Just found this girl for our tree at the feed store.

image.png

Much jollier, I think, than this one.

image.png

Last edited:
This thread as well as some photos from friends has inspired me to have a baking day!
Me too! I've already taken butter out to soften! I got out my old, old Christmas Cookie cookbook and I'm ready to go! I've already made pumpkin cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes with strawberry filling and chocolate frosting for gifts (already given) and some yummy pumpkin cheesecake you make in a individual cup! Let's Bake!

Christmas cookie book small.jpg pumpkin cheesecake in cup small.jpg :frow :wee :frow :wee

The Christmas chicken came from a small owner feed store in Malibu. They have a GREAT gift shop all year round.

It's been there forever. Right on the ocean on what must be a tremendously valuable piece of property. But they go on year after year selling supplies for horses and chickens and dogs. I hope they'll hold out against the development potential of their property forever. But I wonder how much longer they will. A few years ago we lost a fabulous nursery to the same imbalance of running a business or cashing in and early retirement. ::sigh::

We have a few feed stores in my vicinity but none are chains like Tractor Supply. BUT, if you're interested, that chicken is available online. I grabbed that pic from the Old World Christmas site.

Oops! Apparently Old World won't sell to retail customers but I found it on Amazon too. They also had a hen sitting on a nest and a rooster. Guess what's coming to my house?

Last edited:
The Christmas chicken came from a small owner feed store in Malibu. They have a GREAT gift shop all year round.

It's been there forever. Right on the ocean on what must be a tremendously valuable piece of property. But they go on year after year selling supplies for horses and chickens and dogs. I hope they'll hold out against the development potential of their property forever. But I wonder how much longer they will. A few years ago we lost a fabulous nursery to the same imbalance of running a business or cashing in and early retirement. ::sigh::

We have a few feed stores in my vicinity but none are chains like Tractor Supply. BUT, if you're interested, that chicken is available online. I grabbed that pic from the Old World Christmas site.

Oops! Apparently Old World won't sell to retail customers but I found it on Amazon too. They also had a hen sitting on a nest and a rooster. Guess what's coming to my house?
Yes, I figured it would be a small "Mom & Pop" feed store. I will look on Amazon, they are just too cute to ignore! You should get yours in 2 days right? Maybe me too!
:ya

I only read halfway through this thread, but decided that what I want to say definitely fits!!!
I am part of a Christmas present torture family. Duct tape is usually involved. A lot of it!!
In the past, I’ve used a box of tissues. Slide a knife in the side to loosen the glue. Add a gift card at or near the top. Re-glue, and wrap. You may need to say you need to blow your nose to get the person to open the box.
This year, my mother’s gift is thoroughly wrapped in blue tape. One nephew has a jar of potato flakes* with a card in the middle, and his brother is truly going to suffer. I make piñatas. I began a piñata he would have to break to discover it empty. He would then open a 4’ x 2’ (notice that is feet!) empty box followed by more empty boxes. Instead, he has a box of corn, a box of pickled beets, and his gift card will be hanging in the back of the tree. He has another box, but it has a real gift in it.

* A jar can be filled with candy or cookies with a gift card or cash in the middle. Wrap in plastic/foil or a sandwich bag if necessary. You can also place some tiny fish or a beta in a jar. Don’t forget air holes. The air in the bag from the store is only enough for about an hour. Don’t give someone dead fish. It seems to traumatize them. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom