Christmas Plans... Should I?

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
So may have seen the topic on Thanks Plans... and the drama.

Last year I invited all to my house for Christmas Eve supper... Mom do the ham, I handle the rest. Bro had to work... Mom made the ham but flaked on coming... Sis drove the ham, Uncle and KK out... QUICK opening of gifts then dash because of bad weather.

SO... should I issue the invite this year? I REALLY want to. Not being religious, I think holidays are all about being with family. Whether that's Thanks, Easter, Christmas, whatever.. the POINT is bonding with family... because you never know if they'll be here next year you know? This is especially true since Gran and Papabear died. That's what I get out of it.

Think, MAYBE, huge maybe... that MIL MIGHT be getting me a roaster for my B-day... that's Monday. She actually talked about getting me one in time for Thanks as an early b-day... so it's a decent maybe that I'll have one for Christmas. Stupid wall oven doesn't work, only a toaster oven, so NO hope of roasting either of the TWO turkeys I have in the freezer... because I'm insane and couldn't resist 29c a pound meat... ANYWHO... IF she does get me the roaster (too pricey IMO for a b-day gift plan to have DH give FIL $40 and not tell MIL who overspends) then I could do the turkey and trimmings and even if NO one shows WE still have a nice meal....

So, by Dec 14th I'll know if I have a turkey possible... and if not Sis does have the leftover cornish hens from the botched Thanks plans and said her and Kevin wanted to do that another time... well SHOULD I go ahead and invite Mom, Sis (and Co), Bro and GF to a Christmas meal... does NOT have to be ON Christmas, or Eve FTM... day after would be FINE... better even since DH will be off (Sunday is his only guaranteed and Christmas falls on a Sat this year so TWO WHOLE DAYS OFF!!)....

SEEMS like a good idea... if no one shows, or few, then we still have a nice meal... if they do then I get the boon of family (drama and all), kids get to see family... gifts sparse but still... SEEMS like a nice idea... but I thought I'd asked for unbiased opinions from my friends on here.

Oh BTW DH's side plans are always on the evening of the 25th. Everyone does their own household stuff in the AM... kids and all. Then we head to the Grands for dinner (last few years soup and sandwiches YUM)... then all home at a decent hour after a long day... hence thinking Eve or day after.

Also Mom has not mentioned ANY plans to go to her house... NONE. Like last year... hence thinking of inviting all to mine so we're at least together. SHE might prefer to wallow in self pity, but I like to enjoy my loved ones while I can... you know?

Anywho, any willing to voice a thought appreciated.
big_smile.png

Well I guess I would say invite them, and you are right that if they don't show up you will still have a nice dinner. Sometimes it is just easier to let the other make the choice of being part of the family or not. Soon enough there will be a time when one of the family will no longer be with us anymore. You have already started to experience this phenomena, so as crazy as they all are it still sounds as though you still really want your family to come to dinner and behave themselves for one night. Plus inviting them always makes good stories, whether or not they come or not......

I say invite them warmly, with the secret notion that they won't show. Then if they do show, a Christmas miracle!
wink.png

Make it a big event for YOUR family, and the rest are icing on the cake if they come.

I would do an open invitation too. If few show you will have lots of leftovers to enjoy oe give out!

Do it! We have no guarantees in life so should enjoy every possible moment with those we love. I cooked for Thanksgiving. Daughter and her family and inlaws came plus wife and I. Son and daughter-in-law opted out. Day after Christmas was To be here everyone together. Son's MIL has received a bad cancer diagnosis, and they will be unable to be with us again. My grandchildren really like one another, but the 4 hour distance between one another limits visits. Cook for yourself and immediate family and anyone else who attends is a plus. If they don't or can't come it's their loss. For me, cooking for the family is a great joy. In my next life I'm going to be a chef.
lol.png
Enjoy the holidays whatever your decision.

We always go to my sisters. This year my DH doesnt want to go. My neice is dating my ex and he doesnt want to be there even though my sis said they are not coming and if he shows up he has to leave. He was an abuser. Dont know why my neice would get involved with him. So now I dont know what to do. Yes I dont want to be around him and sis assured us that he wouldnt. As far as the invited I say go for it. You might be surprised. I believe Christmas is for family too.

Okay, cool... thanks for the boost guys. And for not calling the men in white coats.
tongue.png

Mom and Uncle random showed up at the door, to get some of Uncle's mail... didn't stay long. Mentioned the rumor about the roaster (took a while since Mom thought I meant a PAN) and maybe doing Christmas dinner... no comment from her at all. So donno where that's going to go. *shrug* Her loss if she bails.

Sheila didja see my Thanksgiving topic... Is He Or Isn't He... we STILL don't know. OY. Drama.

I'd do it, but caution them all that drama is to be left outside, and if they try to bring it indoors they are welcome to go sit outside with their drama
smile.png

I think you should do it. If you don't, doesn't seem like any of the others will. Worst comes to worst you guys have alot of leftovers and still have a really nice evening. I hope it all works out well.

Back
Top Bottom