CHRISTMAS RECIPES!

homemade cornbread dressing

1 pone of cornbread
2 tbs of sage
1tsp salt
1 stalk of celery cut up
1 large onion chopped
4 cups turkey broth

take broth from turkey add sage celery and onion boil till cut celery and chopped onion are tender add crumbled up corn bread add to broth mixture upt in a lightly greased backing pan bake in 350 degree oven for approx 45 min. or until golden brown. best dressing you will ever eat

First of all, make some of these: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Almond-Pinecones/Detail.aspx I have made these for two years in a row now and they look and taste amazing.

From another thread, here's my other recipe I love (this one is from me).

Someone else on BYC PMed me asking for this recipe. After responding, I thought I'd send it to everyone else too by posting it here. I inherited it from a ladies' group at the church I grew up going to. It's very old, but very delicious. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask! smile

Here is the recipe (it's really easy in theory but I've added a lot of information and how-to's based on many years of experience).

Old-fashioned Rock Candy

3 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
bottled flavoring oil (3.7 mL) -- I use the LorAnn brand oils. You can find these everywhere.
powdered sugar
food coloring

Kitchen equipment: 1 or 2 metal pans (like a small soup or stock pot), large metal spoon, 3-4 cookie sheets (2 for each batch, preferably with rims or the molten candy will just roll off like a lava flow), sifter (for powdered sugar), pizza cutter or knife (for scoring the candy), glass candy thermometer, tea kettle (for boiling water), potholders/oven mitts

***It's easier to make this with a friend or some older kids nearby to help! There are some steps that smaller (elementary school) kids can help with, too. Attempting this by yourself might be a bit annoying...you'll see why when you read the recipe. A team effort is best.***

This is what I do to set up before cooking:

1. It's best to have a cool place for the candy to harden, and it works faster if you have a place for this to happen outdoors. I usually make the candy during fall and winter, so it's cold outside. I use TV trays or my deck table with some dish towels on them to protect them from the hot cookie sheets (you'll see why during the recipe).

2. Use the sifter to dust a layer of powdered sugar on the cookie sheets. This will prevent the rock candy from sticking to the cookie sheets while it cools, so make sure the surface of the cookie sheets is covered completely with powdered sugar. You'll be able to reuse the powdered sugar for other batches of rock candy, so it's okay to be a little generous. Keep the cookie sheets indoors near where you will be cooking the rock candy.

To make the candy:

1. Combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water in one of the pans. Decide IN ADVANCE which flavor and food coloring you will want to use for this batch and have them ready. (You won't have much time to choose later. ^_~ )

2. Insert the candy thermometer into the candy mixture, attaching it to the rim of the pan. It is extremely important to position the thermometer so that the tip of it is in the cooking mixture but NOT touching the bottom of the pan. If it does, it may break (and it's really hard to find a replacement around the holidays!).

3. Cook the candy mixture, stirring occasionally, over medium to medium high heat until the temperature reaches "hard crack" on the thermometer (300 degrees Fahrenheit). This may take a while (15-20 minutes, possibly, depending on your stove, pans, etc.).

4. Meanwhile, fill the tea kettle with water and get it boiling. (This will be useful for cleaning your candy-coated pan and spoon... The only way to get the candy off will be to melt it off with boiling water).

5. ***This is a part where it's very helpful to have a friend neaby.*** When the candy mixture reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit, remove the candy thermometer and turn the heat off. Quickly (as the candy will already begin to set up) add the 3.7 mL bottle of flavoring and STIR to incorporate quickly. Also, add as many drops of food coloring as will make the color you desire. ***CAUTION: Some of the flavors are really strong in concentrated form. Stirring them in will cause a nice big cloud of steam to rise from the pan. While your house will smell amazing after, sticking your face directly into a cloud of peppermint- or cinnamon-scented steam is not advised. It won't kill or injure you, but it's VERY INTENSE. ^_^ ***

6. Once the flavor and food coloring is stirred in, pick up the pan and drizzle a layer (about 1/4" thick) of molten candy over the powdered sugar on your cookie sheets. Your friend can grab the spoon and scrape it out while you hold the pan (or vice versa). It is nice to have oven mitts if the pan is really, really hot.

7. Take the cookie sheets outdoors to cool. Meanwhile, dump the boiling water into the pan and stir it around with the spoon to get the molten (now hardening) candy out of your pan. This will take you to the next batch more quickly (especially if you only have one big pan to use for this) because you need to have a clean pan each time (so that the flavors don't mix, etc.).

8. Depending on the temperature outdoors, the candy may harden very, very quickly. It's nice to station kids outside to watch the candy. Yes, they will try to eat it after it feels cool on the outside, but a few mildly burned tongues will tell them they still need to wait. ^_~ They will learn quickly. Have them test it with a butter knife or pizza cutter. If you can leave a line in the candy that doesn't disappear, have them go ahead and cut a sort of checkerboard pattern into the candy with vertical and horizontal lines, marking off bite-size pieces. (The knife and pizza cutter will not actually cut it. You need to do that by hand). This will just make it easier to break.

9. Once the candy has cooled, bring the pans indoors. Begin breaking the candy into pieces along the lines (the lines should make this part really easy). Again, this is something that kids can help with. Have them put the candy into the sifter and shake the excess powdered sugar off before putting it into a big bowl. This will also help eliminate tiny, tiny shards of candy that you wouldn't otherwise eat.

10. When the candy has been broken up and the powdered sugar shaken off, you can reuse the powdered sugar to ready the cookie sheets for the next batch.

This sounds complicated, but it's really not. I've done it with as little as two people (at home) and as many as ten (in a big church kitchen with industrial stove). If you can get a whole bunch of friends together, you can do a candy making party and try lots of different flavors. The work will go faster, too.​

Has anyone ever made homemade Taffy?
I would love to make it this winter.
Post a recipe if you have a good one.
frow.gif

Chicken Lady, that is a great sounding recipe. I think I may have to try that!

Maple Syrup Candy

For starters, they did this in the pioneer days, and the snow may have been colder or something, so i do not know if this will work...............

Easy. Fill a plate or something with fresh snow and REALLY pack it down. Now pour a small, not- too- thick blob of pure maple sugar on it. It should freeze into candy. i just read about how to make it in Little House On The Prairie so i do not know if it really works.

This is a favorite at Christmas time.

Cinnamon Bun Babka

***Dough***
2 cups hot tap water
1/4-cup shortening
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3-cup powdered milk
1/4-cup instant potato flakes
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons vital wheat gluten**(You can buy this in most large grocery stores-it will be on the shelf with the specialty flours. I get mine at Kroger, once it is opened the remainder needs to be stored in the freezer to keep it fresh)**
2 teaspoons or 1 packet of yeast

***Put the first 6 ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. ***(I have a very old bread machine that makes a two pound loaf, most bread machines will kneed the dough very well regardless of size.)
***Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed and select the dough cycle. When the machine first starts you will need to use the rubber spatula to help mix the flour and the liquid or it won't mix well. Just stir with the rubber spatula until all the flour is moistened.
***While you wait for the dough cycle to finish, make your filling and preheat the oven to 325°. Spray a sheet pan with spray-oil, cover with wax paper or parchment paper and spray again.

***Filling***
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter (I use real butter here-I've never tried margarine)
***Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter. Place in refrigerator until needed.

***Once the dough has risen to the top of the bread pan, turn it out onto a floured surface. Coat with flour so it doesn't stick to your hands or the counter. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, 24x12 inches. Spread the filling evenly over the dough and roll up jelly roll style so that you end up with a 24 inch roll. Pinch the edges to seal.
***Starting at one end and working your way down the dough a little at a time, twist the dough as though you were wringing out a dishtowel; the roll will get longer as you twist it. Do this gently as not to tear the dough but well enough that it is well twisted and almost doubled in length. DO NOT LEAVE OUT THIS STEP!!!!
***Then coil the dough around like a pinwheel creating a super large cinnamon roll, tucking the loose end of the dough under so it doesn't unravel. Brush dough very well with melted butter to prevent a skin from forming and let dough rest for 10 minutes, then bake at 325° for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the Babka is golden brown.
***Make a glaze out of powdered sugar, water and a little vanilla. Drizzle this over the Babka and let it cool.

CinnamonBunBabkaII003.jpg

CinnamonBunBabkaII004.jpg

Here are a few more of our favorites.

Sweet Dinner Rolls
Source – Allrecipes - Donna West

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup warm milk
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup butter, softened

Place water, milk, egg, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough/Knead and First Rise Cycle; press Start.

When cycle finishes, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle, spread 1/4 cup softened butter over entire round. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll wedges starting at wide end; roll gently but tightly. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover with clean kitchen towel and put in a warm place, let rise 1 hour.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.

SweetDinnerRolls001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1-1/2 sticks butter
3/4 cup shortening
1-pound brown sugar (2 cups packed)
1/2-cup regular white sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks

4-1/2 cups Better for Bread flour..or any high gluten flour
2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups chopped toasted pecans

Set oven temperature to 350°. Check oven with an oven thermometer to be sure the temperature is correct.

Chop and toast the pecans and set them out on the counter to cool.

In a large mixer bowl, on medium speed, cream Butter Crisco and sugars until very light and fluffy. Add the rest of the liquids and beat well.

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients and stir well to distribute the ingredients.

A little at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. When all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, add the cooled nuts and chocolate chips; by this time my mixer bowl is full so you may have to stir them in by hand.

Using a #20 ice cream scoop (it makes a dough ball about the size of a small lemon) place 6 cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes. When cookies are done, let them cool on the cookie sheet for about 2 minutes to firm up. Then gently lift the parchment paper, with the cookies still on it, off the cookie sheet and onto the table to cool.

Store in an airtight container.
Makes 1-1/2 dozen cookies.

ChewyChocolateChipCookies003.jpg

ChewyChocolateChipCookies005.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luscious Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

Chocolate Crumb Crust

1-1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (about 45 wafers)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup melted butter

Cheesecake batter
1-cup sour cream
4 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, room temperature
1-cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoons vanilla
4 eggs, room temperature; beaten

Chocolate Curd
1/2 cup Cocoa
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4-cup cold water
6 large very fresh egg yolks (older eggs will not set up properly)
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 stick butter-chopped

Preparation: You will need to put a collar on the pan because this cheesecake will rise above the rim of the pan but it will settle back down into the pan as it cools.

Make Crust and Cool Completely.
Combine ingredients and press firmly onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan; I use the bottom of a flat glass to tamp the crust down. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes. (Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes if using dark nonstick springform pan.)

Make Chocolate Curd.
Combine the cocoa and the boiling water; whisk until smooth, stir in the cold water. Put the egg yolks, chocolate mixture and sugar in the top of a double boiler. Use medium heat and stir with whisk constantly. Once the mixture has heated up (make sure that it's hot because if you start adding the butter before it's hot, it doesn't set up as well) add the butter a couple of pieces at a time. As the previous pieces melt, add 2 more. Once all the butter has been added, continue to whisk and cook for 15 minutes, or until set. Transfer to the fridge and cool completely stirring often to keep the curd smooth and creamy in texture.

Make Cheesecake Batter
Mix sour cream, cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Mix in beaten eggs just until well blended. Remove 1-1/3 cups of the cheesecake batter and stir it into the chocolate curd.

Spoon half the batter over prepared crust. Spoon half of the chocolate curd in dollops into pan. Repeat, ending with chocolate curd. With metal spatula or knife, cut through batters to marble.

BAKE at 325°F for 1 hour 20 minutes; remove from oven to cooling rack. Cheesecake will still be very loose but it is done, do not try to bake it until it is firm. (Bake at 300°F for 1 hour 20 minutes if using dark nonstick springform pan.) Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

ChocolateSwirlCheesecake002.jpg

ChocolateSwirlCheesecake001.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lemon Swirl Cheesecake

Crust
1 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Cheesecake Batter
1 cup Sour Cream
4 packages (8 oz. each) Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
1-cup sugar
3-Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 eggs, beaten

Lemon Curd
6 large very fresh egg yolks (older eggs will not set up properly)
1-cup sugar
1-tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 stick butter-chopped
20 drops yellow food color

Preparation:

Make crust and cool completely.
MIX crumbs, 3 Tbsp. sugar and butter; press firmly onto bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes. (Bake at 300°F for 10 minutes if using dark nonstick springform pan.)

Make lemon curd
Put the egg yolks, lemon juice, cornstarch and sugar in the top of a double boiler. Use medium heat and stir with whisk constantly. Once the mixture has heated up (make sure that it's hot because if you start adding the butter before it's hot, it doesn't set up as well) add the butter a couple of pieces at a time. As the previous pieces melt, add 2 more. Once all the butter has been added, let it continue to cook for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. If it is not thick, let it cook longer than the 15 minutes. Transfer to the fridge and cool completely stirring often to keep the butter from separating. While the curd is chilling mix the cheesecake batter.

MIX sour cream, cream cheese, 1-cup sugar, flour and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Mix in beaten eggs. Remove 1-1/3 cups of the cheesecake batter and stir it along with the 20 drops of yellow food color into the cooled lemon curd.

Spoon half the cheesecake batter over prepared crust. Spoon half of the lemon curd in dollops into pan. Repeat, ending with lemon curd. With metal spatula or knife, cut through batters to marble.

BAKE at 325°F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set if using silver springform pan. (Bake at 300°F for 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set if using dark nonstick springform pan.) Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

LemonSwirlCheesecake003.jpg

LemonSwirlCheesecake002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Praline Sticky Buns

Dough
1-1/4 cups warm tap water
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons powdered milk
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
3-3/4 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Place ingredients into bread machine in the order listed and select the dough cycle.

Prepare the pan:
Non-stick spray oil
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2-cup light brown sugar
1-teaspoon cinnamon
1/3-cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Spray a 9”x13” baking pan very well with non-stick cooking spray then pour in the melted butter and tilt the pan to spread the butter all over the pan. Sprinkle the pan evenly with the brown sugar and cinnamon; then drizzle the corn syrup evenly all over the pan. Sprinkle evenly with the chopped pecans.

Prepare the dough:
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1/2-cup light brown sugar
1-teaspoon cinnamon
1/3-cup light corn syrup
When the dough has risen to the top of the pan in the bread machine turn it out on a well-floured counter and roll it out to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Spread the melted butter and the rest of the ingredients evenly over the dough. Roll the dough and pinch to seal the edges. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces and lay them cut side up into the prepared pan. Allow the dough to rise until almost double and bake in a 325° oven for 40 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 190°. Allow the buns to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn them out into a larger foil covered pan. Cool and cover with foil.

PralineStickyBuns002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pistachio Pudding Cake

1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
4 eggs
1-1/4 cups water
1/4-cup oil
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
7 drops green food coloring (optional)

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Place all ingredients in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes.
POUR into greased and floured 10-inch fluted tube or tube pan.
BAKE 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.

Pistachio Pudding Fluff

1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1-3/4 cups milk
1-1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1-teaspoon vanilla

In a medium size mixing bowl mix the milk and the pudding mix and whip with a wire whisk for 3 minutes. Set aside while you whip the cream.

In an electric mixer bowl whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla till stiff peaks form.

Fold the cream into the pudding and store in a covered container in the frig.

Serve over cake.

PistachioPuddingCake002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blackberry-Almond Crumb Cake
From Cooking Light
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/r...e&recipe_id=223462&package_id=1030847_1030852

Note* I used full fat ingredients, omitted the almond extract and upped the vanilla to 2 teaspoons. I added the extra egg yolk + 2 T. flour to the batter (saw no reason to waist it).
*I used half of an 8oz cream cheese +1T sugar.
*I also used frozen blackberries and blackberry jam instead of raspberries, it’s what I had on hand.

1-cup all-purpose flour
1/3-cup sugar
1/8-teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/4-teaspoon baking soda
1/3-cup fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1-teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg
Cooking spray
3 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg white
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
1/3-cup fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/3-cup sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2-cup flour mixture for topping; set aside.

Combine remaining flour mixture, baking powder, and baking soda, and add sour cream, milk, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and egg white; beat at medium speed until blended. Spread evenly over batter; dot with preserves. Top with raspberries. Combine the reserved 1/2-cup flour mixture and almonds. Sprinkle crumb mixture over raspberries. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool on a wire rack.

BlackberryAlmondCrumbcake001.jpg

BlackberryAlmondCrumbcake002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom