Christmas Setting - First Hatch

Are you using a still air incubator or a forced air one? Congrats on the embryos! Mine are developing well too and if all goes well I'll have quail in the next couple of days.

Lockdown day! All three chicken eggs have made it to lockdown, and I awoke this morning to a quail baby. I hope I get at least one more, or the little guy will have to rough it on his own till my bigger batch of quail hatch later. How's everyone else doing?

I have 18 of the 24 on lockdown, as I am erring on the side of caution because I am new. As you may remember, I had one egg that was broken on delivery and another that seemed to be cracking and seeping around day 15. I also had one that I had identified as a clear on around day 7. Before lockdown, there were 3 more that had clearly quit developing. I have a forced air incubator and I took the tray out and laid the eggs on the mat equal distances apart. It seems this morning that some have rolled into 2 bunches, which is pretty darn exciting to see independent signs of life. Day 20 started this morning about 6 a.m., so I am on the edge of my seat. I haven't heard the first pip though!

No more quail, so I think I'll be having a lone quail for a bit, which is too bad. He'll do okay though, he has a mirror, and I have thirteen more in the incubator due in a week. My eggs are all looking good too! Can't wait for peeps!

Back
Top Bottom