Christmas Setting - First Hatch

I don't even have a pip yet! Grrrrrrrr........ I am now so worried that I screwed something up and have killed the little buggers. I have left them completely alone but find myself peering into the 'bator waiting, just waiting for that first pip.

What day are you on??? I have Orpingtons in the bator too day 8. My breeder said they go late and the silkies go early. I planned on leaving them in til day 27 or so...

I set them at 6:00 a.m. on Christmas Day, so today is Day 21. Technically they are not due until 6 a.m. in the morning. I know, I know. I am freaking out but I am a first time chicken mom..................

Not a silkie, a NN cross that didn't get the NN gene, so a little mutt, lol. It has adorable muffs. Don't be discouraged! If your temps ever ran a little low they could be a bit later getting out. If you don't have any pips yet, you can open the incubator and take out an egg and hold it to your ear and tap on it. If the chick is internally pipped it will probably peep at you :) You could also candle really quick to check if it's internally pipped.

I am afraid to touch them!
big_smile.png

:lol: I know how that is! It won't hurt them, I do it all the time, lol. As of when I left for work I had another internal pip. My huge leghorn egg wasn't internally pipped yet - larger eggs take longer to hatch, it seems, because the chick has more yolk to absorb.

Back
Top Bottom