Christmas Wish List-2013

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
We've been bombed for 3 weeks already with X-mas commercials. We all here as peafowl keepers don't see many,if any specials regarding much for helping our flocks available at Wal-Mart or any "Blue Lite Specials" Times are tough,feed prices have went up about 30% the last 6 months along with everything else,including building supplies which I know all too well. So within our Pea regulars here,what are 3 things you would put on a list regarding your peas or fellow fanciers for X-Mas or in 2013? Here is my short 3 wish list.
1) To offer Mmmaddie13 and New 2 a special "box suprise" this summer with 2 of Thangs progeny.Since both these byc'ers stick up-defend and love this bird so much,it's only fitting their pea palaces be graced with some of Thangs genetics.Spreading the Thang love around the globe
2) Hatch more than 1 peachick from my Charcoal dark pied w/e (Kingsford) this coming summer.Thru experimenting with a diffrent ration after I brought my quad of BSSP home and witnessing egg after egg quit,then trying a higher protein diet that showed a 60% improvement in hatchrates within 3 days of feeding it may solve my Charcoal quitter problem also. My goal this summer is to hatch no less than 20 peachicks from my Charcoal pen.
3) To add Cameos,Whites,and Purple B/S birds to Pea Palace.At present I have a Purple BSSP coming 3 yr old male from Leggs,with 2 purple b/s hens.2 purple hens,and a purple pied hen.I have 2 coming 2 year old Purple b/s hens that would be too many to add with my other purple birds,so getting a nice Purple b/s 3 year old,and having a straight pen of b/s in the color Purple would be nice.

Here's my short list:
1 - to achieve bronze blackshoulder with my two year old trio - a long shot for me, as I do not usually have good luck with two year old males

2 - to hatch a male of the new colour I have been so lucky to aquire. I have a two year old hen, and two 2012 hens of the 4 that were hatched. I plan on breeding the two year old hen back to her father to increase my odds of a male

3 - to hatch a pair of each of the 8 colour combination I am planning - I've been working out the logistics and pennings I will require for months now, I'm just too excited....

Don't get me started on 2014 yet, it too is planned out
fl.gif

1. Kidnap poor misunderstood Thang and give him therapy and love

2. Build my dream pea cabin

3. Make sure that I take lots of time to sit quietly and enjoy the beauty of these magnificent birds

AW! Well I love my 3 Thang babies that I am so lucky to have! :) They're getting more and more beautiful every day. The little white one has BIG personality just like his daddy. :)

1. I need some Opal anything hens. I currently have two Opal B/S males (hatched this year), one Opal Silver Pied (6 years old) male, and an IB B/S split to Opal (hatched this year) male. I have one Opal Silver Pied (hatched this year) that's still up in the air but it's looking more and more like a hen. Crossing my fingers that it is. I do have a couple years to get them, but it'd be nice to not worry about it anymore.

2. Building plans for breeding pens. Right now I've got one 30'x40' pen with an 8'x16' coop in it, and with 14 birds, they've got the recommended 80 sq. ft. per bird with room for 2 more. However I've seen a couple breeders that have winter pens that are generally smaller sq. ft./bird so this one that I have now will work as my grow-out pen and my winter housing pen in a couple years. I've got... let's see... I think five or six possible breeding "groups/varieties" so I'd want maybe 8 breeding pens, just to be on the safe side (you know how fast new pairs just "show up") They don't have to be too big, but just right. :) Nothing fancy, just practical.

3. And I hope for Randy to get everything he needs for his lovely peas. Including those on his Christmas list. :) He has been more than helpful in starting me off on the right foot with my new addiction. Thanks to him I have 14 beautiful birds growing up in my own backyard. 10 of which are descendants of his flock. I owe him everything and more and I hope that he has an especially productive year with his birds. :)

But really, I love Christmas time more than pretty much anybody I know. I'm more happy seeing other people being happy. :) I hope that EVERYONE has a specifically good year when it comes to anything involving their peas. :) I want everyone to have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays! And I certainly hope everyone gets everything and more that is on their wish lists. :)

Well I'm thinking about my xmas list, but in the meantime...
Thank you FBC! It's very touching to be included in your list!
clap.gif

Hooray for spreading the Thang Love!

New2,,hope you have pen space available in June-July for a couple of "Thangettes",,,Cali will never be the same.Frosty,,you in need of some "Thang love" in your neck of the woods?

Last edited:
Haunted,,your list is very short.Although having only 1 wish may not seem like alot,that task alone can take a lot of time as well as cash.I put things off until I get to a point where I'm forced to finish it then it's always a rush because of the weather mainly.I would rather go out in the pea pens and spend time with them instead of picking up a hammer.Because of my addiction to staring-watching-admiring my peas,They are the blame I'm always behind here.I'm using this as a "REASON" not an excuse as why I get sidetracked.If I were closer I'd help you.

Mmaddie13,,thanks for the kind words but you could have gotten peas from anyone and most all here would go out of their way helping you get started.One new rule I have made here now is for choretime to begin about 1/2hr before dark.I spend entirely too much time admiring my birds if I start doing chores say about 3pm.I'm always looking at them to see if I missed anything,or coming up with a new breeding combination for next year.I've only kept 6 birds from my 2011 hatch where I initially kept back over 20.(And those all came from bought-shipped eggs)Of the 40 or so I've kept back from 2012 I'll probably wind up maybe keeping the same number-7 or 8.Its so easy to see justification in keeping because of beauty alone.

Back
Top Bottom