Cider vs. Cider

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowltemptress, Oct 30, 2009.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I have a cousin in law from England . . . went through that whole, "Cookies? I thought we were having biscuits!" thing with him, but other than that, we haven't had a food mix up in a while.

Well, yesterday he offered me some apple cider, so of course I said yes, expecting, well, apple cider. I take a sip and it tastes very weird. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I go ahead and drink it . . . and I'm shocked to find myself tipsy by the end of the visit!

I certainly never thought that the English would give hard cider the innocent sounding name of apple cider. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Is that like a hot toddy,maybe??? hahha
    Or, maybe, ENglish COffee? Like Italian or Irish Coffee, with liquor in it??

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Mulled cider? Mmmmm. Mulled wine is good too- especially this time of year.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I don't drink much, but hard cider is only alcoholic beverage that doesn't taste nasty to me. I love regular raw cider. I never buy it anymore because now you can only get pasteurized. Pasteurized just isn't as good. I need my own apple tree and a cider press.

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I love hard cider - but it always seems to be gone too soon [​IMG]

I have a neighbor with an orchard, and I saw him out there the other day on his front porch making cider... maybe I need to stop by and ask him for a couple of gallons....

(he's actually about 4 miles away - but down here, everyone seems to be my neighbor [​IMG] I love it here!!)

meri

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    In the German culture this drink is called "Moche" it is a fermented apple cider and is quite popular in Europe. Yes you can get to feeling good if you drink it LOL but it does taste pretty good. Most Europeans actually brew this in their homes and have set-up that can be bought almost anywhere across the big pond.

AL

8. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Hornsby's crisp apple hard cider -- [​IMG]

Stuff's like capri-sun for adults. [​IMG]

9. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Its fermented apple cider. What I have had is very good. I could understand why someone might not immediately know that it was an alcoholic drink.

10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I make it by the gallons. I am never without it. I do call it Hard Apple Cider though. My friends show up just to take a gallon or two of it home all the time. I keep three 6 gallon carboys brewing at all times. Good stuff that.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by