Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!

What incubators are you both using?
I have two I'm using at the same time, same schedule. I find that my chicks still hatch at the same rate in either one:

The Kebonnixs 12-egg incubator:
https://www.amazon.com/KEBONNIXS-In...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

This photo is my own unit. I've been having some trouble keeping humidity constant this time (don't know why, weather maybe?) so I added some glass pebbles into the water tray. It's helping to cut down the surface area of the water. I also put rubbery mesh shelf liner on the tray bottom to help with turning eggs evenly and give the chicks a grippy surface to walk on:
LyhP4VoebZQnlzMW4-dudUJkwV_AL5ZscutmL9f2hEw4_RacXRA7kWom6PSBAkQgipYJTyPDbDIrA2kZ-vggsUK75mNiHNlZotAMN2NqDCA4lJty1W1axHxDHpIbw6Ywak6O2NiGfpR6dWPy0Kk3hLQOvA-tJs-YJRcz0P4U35iOXJCbHZb-m5z9Eiuym73-b2rdyYUEr1C_hcok-tP5nVH-U6jYYxgCoYUiA6VlT1NfT-5kbB-VM9j7s5_yeeAz5D-JtSOwl4DZKUupUgxl4kDqepl1oUtg1yfTZ0M0ZR-8zm26zcC5BDpF-3xn299J1AorKTX9a7lWFjxu13mHs9WYfUJBq0cixqLVCoNCNlM7mhVRqYxHjEEOTtGJTn9kgdmeo_a-I8s9rUJ1bMhVM8-2avjJ7ZkL4UXbLLvVctyP_63Ib0zvzc2mtW-3PVcaPAjgx-GcQRyx-oqC45Z4qWhiIHUGiNU9BQnAk0RVGHt8hCxO_8beOlR7-97dy1mdK8QE_WZUSGl4pNmfRzkKwq4KL4VH6fmhGQTXB9ru5A1gQ2NbSE10YeHv2sk7Z5DnfNGfR6krOs-G88RN3vESv0hrsEhp8oZuSdWxTd06ErkrFkoCgnFLQf9ZPSbPIjJP_ETypUBTyqgr814QkWF_h-iTr77X1gkxRlSDBMyemtkRsRmQTO8ckpfffTFrT3H7JV9FG3hus1TY_I6i1Nmb8CEqclwJiquaysgsCjXVNaWiKdVgHFj00zd24ZIA2paVyeYR9UMi5-HMuY1v8-z58XWLak7mjL6v-WI0IOzPPsOq36V0VmTsmmOmb99U3_i8nRVs_yp1d6Ch7pCQByOGKnI1VBO9Shv87HfkZnsjngB7JtlNzEtWZZd87mmPdgjE4k0oMajqeAeH_81fbTW8FdEte1TgDzR3D16mMTGlIxXFXU3P=w971-h990-s-no

And Inucbator Warehouse's IncuView 27-egg incubator:
https://www.amazon.com/IncuView-Aut...4&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e

That link is actually to a newer model, with access to the water channels from the outside, and enclosed turning motor (BIG improvements!). Mine doesn't have those features:
MfiIAV8_5Mqe605VHFzhIpy-mzTH2a5_d-kR03xBPpRoxcsC6pqH23UoZdW28iEzYCWIaHzdwOQinKZSxa2GBDtvn2aNBlCl1eB_TNUj2pQFl4LkJ17hA1t633Zof5DaOA7vTZcI7W6yXNzSAA2TYlLGDISgNn8UhBJCbFuKEWG3P1ajtuE8S7nUdFYsK_LBJ48drm_DibASojxTiSrIZ1B49nMaOJfoyZ-_l2wuouCXomoNvX3KbFA9_lVT0ERw8yu7GXjOd-eVfQvs7LTYQhJGBzh05ICW9ukRBAoxs3fLkL-jH6C6qvWR2aJIt80YciKlPjqWkVwwdA927If-WEh-WEUoS-_tIoqrZaGPwaFdGJH7LSNvEPhPusWeuvQik00XRVwFLzFUvV3lvm4BFrVZiQ-1_zo3OCOFWuNnew3MDu4KF1TM_JC8TUk8R6-7IRnyOTHCbOV0F6w8QSFeb1zXVWOAAapbwZzzx6zuLiV-kPBM_zSlaIrTaF5LRSMoSnb-8cuXiLudmATt-AG1HQpKROaf10ZAjM23nOu-C_5_-ITnziSGIqeIdfyMJ1rFmFlebZRCWYWtsiwmg_MpLzxqjsFlyV-MEHa1WkFB1rfz9--K0-DAgz8aJz4qWrf3o-kZG-w4EAMukWoBNzJQ1Xv3r8NT1cUfVPYBnMdpmYp7lz5EupQ7E9a8M4MwP3CLKS1crRtM1Amr-vy1nw0cMCJt3itKmhVpp8VKokhXgPr7F1-Q45m4o4gyRCNUCq0HAHRLEr1QS7L17qFPjwHZ5-w1OSMi5JAKQofTcilTgF1EKNBjS1aJBAYzRFp6zz-pHu8nTDZXcR8ZncVgiS3TsEklyfb6pqdzbutcBFJSlzvOJU8EiwLCdRpCtFsw9jJ3IjbKOfduBnnnHcdoa7JEat9vEdvHkEclPZ3o59ZKbytrtMOp=w1059-h990-s-no

I've made several modifications to deal with these issues. I drilled two more vent holes (for 3 total). I add water with a large syringe fitted with a long straw, and insert it through an air vent to direct water into each channel. I also added a cover over the exposed turning motor to protect it from damage.

Then I covered the plastic mesh bottom with rubbery shelf liner, fixed in place with tiny ties - then laid four smooth plastic strips lengthwise over it, to give the tray something to slide over easily but keep the eggs in contact with the liner. It works well to turn the eggs evenly. My only complaint is that I have to remove all the eggs to remove the turning tray. I don't know why I do that; maybe this time I'll just leave it in place during lockdown and hatching.

And I added insulation. I cut the shipping carton down that the unit came in, covered the underside of the egg tray with plastic wrap, filled the bottom and sides of the box with spray foam insulation, pressed the egg tray into the foam until level (and fixed it in place so it wouldn't shift as the foam expanded). Then I was able to lift the tray out (left the plastic film stuck to the foam - why not), trimmed the foam back, covered the outside of the box with duct tape.

I've also used it with a 'blanket' of towels over the unit with the vents and controller exposed, and I've used it without - and there was no noticeable difference in the hatch rate either way. I might sew an actual fitted blanket cover for it, anyway - and one for the Kebonnixs, too - just to minimize temperature fluctuations.

I have a Little Giant. Model #12300 I believe. Digital display and air circulated. I'm not surprised with the eggs though, OEGB have a low hatch rate, and the other ones are from my first-time layer banties. With at least two first-time roos (unsure of the age of the third, and I think he's too big for the banties anyhow).

Hi all!

I ordered 8 eggs to be shipped, shipper didn't mark box AT ALL...I got 6 scrambled eggs or detached air cells. I put them all in for a wk just in case...Luckily 2 are growing.

I just stumbled across this thread...mine are due to hatch on May 5th!!!

I am using a maticoopx 30 and love it. I had started in a foreign knock off with a lot of issues. Wouldn't hold the humidity and that was one of the big reasons I bought the maticoopx 30 and returned the other.

On day 6, I candled and removed the 6 bad ones and switched the other 2 to the maticoopx (after it was warmed and holding humidity for several hours.)

Anyone else use the maticoopx??

We candled last night and all looks well.

I really am enjoying the new incubator so much! It has removed so much stress. The other one was so bad I was figuring out how I was supposed to go to work, AND watch the incubator....

There are my 2 bitties...fingers crossed they BOTH hatch!

First ever hatch...bad bad bad beginning experience

Attachments

• 20230421_021156.jpg
    20230421_021156.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 4

I have a Little Giant. Model #12300 I believe. Digital display and air circulated. I'm not surprised with the eggs though, OEGB have a low hatch rate, and the other ones are from my first-time layer banties. With at least two first-time roos (unsure of the age of the third, and I think he's too big for the banties anyhow).

My eggs are from an established flock of 2-3-yr-old barnyard mixes (RIR, BPR, and Black Australorp mostly; and I've had one each of EE, Araucana, and Leghorn in the mix). One 3-yr-old roo who does most of the business, one 1-year-old who mostly mates with the younger first-time layers (and I don't usually incubate their eggs, not yet, too small), and a third 8-month old who's learning and trying but doesn't have a harem yet.

My eggs are from an established flock of 2-3-yr-old barnyard mixes (RIR, BPR, and Black Australorp mostly; and I've had one each of EE, Araucana, and Leghorn in the mix). One 3-yr-old roo who does most of the business, one 1-year-old who mostly mates with the younger first-time layers (and I don't usually incubate their eggs, not yet, too small), and a third 8-month old who's learning and trying but doesn't have a harem yet.
My whole flock is young. started with them last year. So if I get anything, I'm happy.

My OEGB I got at a livestock sale, and I've hatched some of theirs, and had them hatch some too.

@Hedgeland Farms Bienvenidos a la fiesta! (Welcome to the party!) Of course, we expect to see BOTH of your baby chicks costumed for Cinco-de-Mayo!
Thank ya!!!
Is this a good place to ask any incubation questions too??

Pertaining to this hatch abyways... if I have any??

I'll try to go back and catch up on everything...

But yes please fingers crossed 🤞 and prayers 🙏 the little bitties make it.

I am hoping for 2 boys!!!

My Galaxy (Barred rock) flock will be complete then! (Until we start to harvest out some)

Back
Top Bottom