Cindi's Chicken Chronicles

So Many Mama Hens (June 2021)

Lately, it seems like my backyard is a gathering place for all of the mama hens! Here are the current mama hens in my backyard. Please keep in mind, that MY mama hens are: Chickadee, Poppy, Sunny & Tawny. The other mama hens are neighborhood hens that like to frequent my backyard.

Poppy
(April 30, 2021)
tempImagenrQa7w.png

Chickadee
(May 7, 2021)
tempImageYcmSO0.png

Dolly
(May 12, 2021)
tempImageySFdkb.png

Pearl
(May 22, 2021)
tempImagedvYodj.png

Hen
(May 22, 2021)
tempImageYTeRXZ.png

Sunny

(June 1, 2021) tempImageMYneT7.png

Rosie
(June 8, 2021)
tempImageFqQ6Ez.png

Tawny
(June 9, 2021)
tempImagemnVGqG.png

Last edited:
So Many Mama Hens (June 2021)

Lately, it seems like my backyard is a gathering place for all of the mama hens! Here are the current mama hens in my backyard. Please keep in mind, that MY mama hens are: Chickadee, Poppy, Sunny & Tawny. The other mama hens are neighborhood hens that like to frequent my backyard.

Poppy
(April 30, 2021)
View attachment 2712002

Chickadee
(May 7, 2021)
View attachment 2712006

Dolly
(May 12, 2021)
View attachment 2711998

Pearl
(May 22, 2021)
View attachment 2711995

Hen
(May 22, 2021)
View attachment 2711996

Sunny

(June 1, 2021)View attachment 2711994

Rosie
(June 8, 2021)
View attachment 2711993

Tawny
(June 9, 2021)
View attachment 2711992
YAY! Mamma Power!!! ❤️

Hi :) just wondering how Kiko is doing these days! Is she still following you around?
51E7BC19-DC5E-4C83-ABF1-C10EBBF3CF88.jpeg
Hello there! Kiko is doing very well - she is enjoying the "house chicken" life very much! She enjoys morning snuggles, dust bathing and visiting the park! She is my little shadow and follows me everywhere! 💕 She's growing up so fast! Her down is being replaced with feathers and she is entering the "awkward teenage stage".

How's your little chicky doing?!

Empty Nesters

Poppy & Chickadee are currently empty nesters. Both sets of chicks have "left the nest" at a little over 6 weeks old. I think Poppy & Chickadee are enjoying the peace & quiet and catching up on some much needed rest! 💤

I decided to name Poppy's chick, Scout. I often see Scout hanging out with the older chickens when he visits the yard. I am hoping that he will eventually start hanging out with Chickadee's little ones and that they'll all form a flock!

I am pretty sure that Chickadee's 4th brood of chicks are made up of 6 pullets & 4 cockerels. A much better ratio than her previous batch of chicks (7 cockerels & 2 pullets 😅 ) They visit daily and will come up onto the porch when they want to be fed. They remind me so much of their mama Chickadee!💕

tempImagerpCMNx.png
09DEAA61-519E-42A6-8268-02D70F9D740A.jpeg
tempImageA7z5d5.png
tempImageNdbEFV.png

Best of Cluck Photo Contest: Best Hen

Guess what?! My photo of Buttercup won the "Best Hen" Category in the 2021 Best of Cluck Photo Contest! You can see the other winners & honorable mentions in the September/October 2021 Issue of Chickens Magazine!

B673EBED-E8F0-45E9-B017-BA0A650FA5EE.jpeg

Last edited:
A friend for Kiko

On July 7th, my neighbor stopped by with a lost baby chick. She said she had found the baby chick wandering in her yard alone. She tried finding the mama hen but had no luck, so she decided to bring the baby chick over to me. I took the baby chick in and Kiko was not very happy about the new house guest. Kiko made is very loud & clear that she preferred to live her life as an only child.

tempImageNnBiLw.png

It's been a few days now that we've taken in the little one and we decided to name her Gizmo. I am happy to report that Kiko is slowly warming up to Gizmo. We still have a long way to go, but I am happy that we are making progress! I hope that eventually Kiko & Gizmo will become the best of friends.

tempImagejkak8i.png
696CAFB3-48C4-4E7A-9AE1-108877CCDC28.jpeg

What happened with roo? Is he doing better??
Thank you so much for asking about Roo ❤️ Unfortunately, he didn't make it. I brought him to the vet in April to get treatment and at first I thought the medication was helping, but his health deteriorated and he passed before I could bring him to the vet again 😢 It was my first chicken loss and I still have a hard time grasping that Roo is no longer here. I think Roo knew that his time was coming to an end- he is a friendly rooster but not one for cuddles or being pet. During my last day with him, he kept walking up to me so that I would pet him. I think that was his way of saying goodbye to me 💔

Back
Top Bottom