Cleaning Coop

KMurphyVT

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
Hi,
I’m new to chickens and I currently have 8. They are 10 weeks old and are fully in the coop. I let them free range in our yard approximately 4-6 hours a day. Usually 3pm-8pm. Everyday in the AM I scoop out their poop with a small shovel, and at the end of the week I add more bedding (wood chips). I’m wondering how often do I need to scrub down the roost bars and do a total coop clean? Also, I rake the run area to basically turn the dirt over, but should I be doing more in that area?

I do the same as you and I deep clean (such as scrubbing things down) about once 4 weeks to once a month. I always turn up there dirt about once a week. Sounds like your doing good! :thumbsup

Thank you! What do you scrub your roosting bars with? Mine are actually made out of thick tree branches.

Thank you! What do you scrub your roosting bars with? Mine are actually made out of thick tree branches.
That's neat! Usually just water and an old rag. I like to sprinkle De around too. Have you ever tried a homemade cleaning spray before?

I've never cleaned my roosts before (I also use tree branches)... if there is any poop, a paint scraper gets it off real quick.

Frequency of cleaning depends on a variety of factors, such as overall coop size, flock size, climate, bedding, etc. So like I have 11 birds in 60 sq ft with wood chips for litter and I do a full clean out twice a year.

No, I’ve never tried a homemade cleaning spray. Any suggestions? I have been sprinkling dried lavender in the coop to make it smell nice. I’ve gotten mixed messages about DE. One book said it was bad for humans to breath in and has been known to cause cancer. I checked with my local vet who said he doesn’t recommend it, and really doesn’t see a lot of chickens with mite/flea problems. Other people swear by it. I have been sprinkling a little DE in the coop every two weeks, but I’m just not sure.

No, I’ve never tried a homemade cleaning spray. Any suggestions? I have been sprinkling dried lavender in the coop to make it smell nice. I’ve gotten mixed messages about DE. One book said it was bad for humans to breath in and has been known to cause cancer. I checked with my local vet who said he doesn’t recommend it, and really doesn’t see a lot of chickens with mite/flea problems. Other people swear by it. I have been sprinkling a little DE in the coop every two weeks, but I’m just not sure.

DE is very controversial on here, some people swear by it, others don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had some and didn't know what to do with it so I dumped it on an ant hill... at least no more ants?

I wouldn't use any spray while cleaning. Assuming your coop is wood, moisture is the exact opposite of what you want inside a coop.

I'll have to try the lavender! I've never tried any sprays but I've heard garlic and lemon helps get rid of parasites. You'll here alot of people say that DE is bad for your lungs and a chickens and they think that if it can slice up mites like it does then what will it do to your lungs and your chickens. DE is a type of fossilized rock all crushed up, so whenever it touches the mites the tiny shards of rock slice them up. Since the mites are so tiny and so are the shards it does nothing to your chickens lungs or yours unless your sticking your head in the bag. I think it being used in a moderate amount in fine. I've been sprinkling it around after every cleaning because I've been dealing with coccidios but otherwise I would do it about every week.

I've never deep cleaned my coop. Once a year I change out the shavings. Every few weeks I brush any poop stuck to the wire under their roost. I've never done anything to their run except add leaves in the fall.
IMG_2401.JPG

Back
Top Bottom