Cleaning Coop

KMurphyVT

Chirping
Aug 9, 2020
Hi,
I’m new to chickens and I currently have 8. They are 10 weeks old and are fully in the coop. I let them free range in our yard approximately 4-6 hours a day. Usually 3pm-8pm. Everyday in the AM I scoop out their poop with a small shovel, and at the end of the week I add more bedding (wood chips). I’m wondering how often do I need to scrub down the roost bars and do a total coop clean? Also, I rake the run area to basically turn the dirt over, but should I be doing more in that area?

I've never cleaned my roosts before (I also use tree branches)... if there is any poop, a paint scraper gets it off real quick.

Frequency of cleaning depends on a variety of factors, such as overall coop size, flock size, climate, bedding, etc. So like I have 11 birds in 60 sq ft with wood chips for litter and I do a full clean out twice a year.

I've never deep cleaned my coop. Once a year I change out the shavings. Every few weeks I brush any poop stuck to the wire under their roost. I've never done anything to their run except add leaves in the fall.
IMG_2401.JPG

No, I’ve never tried a homemade cleaning spray. Any suggestions? I have been sprinkling dried lavender in the coop to make it smell nice. I’ve gotten mixed messages about DE. One book said it was bad for humans to breath in and has been known to cause cancer. I checked with my local vet who said he doesn’t recommend it, and really doesn’t see a lot of chickens with mite/flea problems. Other people swear by it. I have been sprinkling a little DE in the coop every two weeks, but I’m just not sure.

DE is very controversial on here, some people swear by it, others don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had some and didn't know what to do with it so I dumped it on an ant hill... at least no more ants?

I wouldn't use any spray while cleaning. Assuming your coop is wood, moisture is the exact opposite of what you want inside a coop.

I do a deep cleaning about every 4 months or so to my main coop, my mini coop I clean every 1-3 months at least, depending on use... or when it feels gross or I have time. I mix dish soap and vinegar, spray, sit for 1/2 hour then pressure wash. It is completely dry within 1 hour.

What works for some certainly may not work for another.

Love how open that is for a warm climate!

Nothing dries around here, so even a minimal amount of wetness of the coop in the morning = won't be dry by nightfall. :(

I do a deep cleaning about every 4 months or so to my main coop, my mini coop I clean every 1-3 months at least, depending on use... or when it feels gross or I have time. I mix dish soap and vinegar, spray, sit for 1/2 hour then pressure wash. It is completely dry within 1 hour. I also use DE on my branch roosts and poop boards, I do not use DE to rid myself of mites. I grab a handful and throw when birds are not around and it settles thinly just fine. It helps with my daily scraping of boards and composting smells. I also use same treatment on nest boxes and change nesting material once a month. I am in a very warm climate and have a completely open coop and I have fabulous drainage too. The run, I turn in leaves, mulch, grass clippings a few times per year or as needed. My chickens mostly free range. This works for me... my girls rarely have problems with bugs and my eggs are always perfectly clean. Other people in my area do not and they often complain about mites and have dirty eggs. I think that you will find your happy place as you go. What works for some certainly may not work for another.
20200715_094847.jpg
20200511_110837.jpg
20200414_110556.jpg

Love how open that is for a warm climate!

Nothing dries around here, so even a minimal amount of wetness of the coop in the morning = won't be dry by nightfall. :(
Thank you, it is fun and works for them and me. But, confess I am envious of the beautiful closed coops I see on these pages, must feel so secure for the girls. I love your roosts and poop screen. How do you do with the bugs in your area if you don't deep clean? Just incase I move to somewhere cooler and wetter? ;)

Back
Top Bottom