Clipped beaks, yes or no?

rubycal

Chirping
Aug 16, 2012
I would be interested to hear opinions on beak clipping. I have spoken to people who are for and against. If so what age is appropriate? I am curious now because I have some pecking (with bleeding) going on. I believe my pullets are too old, but would like to be better educated for any new members to my flock. Roosters? (I don't have any but would be interested to know if they get clipped too)

I can't think of any possible good reason to clip beaks. You'd be better off trying to find the source of the pecking. Are they over crowded? Are they getting enough protein or other nutrients? Do you have one bully that needs to be removed from the flock? Have you separated any that are injured? If you have one with an open sore, the others will continue to peck at it.

thanks for the reply. The pullet that was pecked on her head is with other pullets her age and separated from the hen who pecked at her. They do not bother her, so therefore I believe the problem is a 'bully' (another post). But since I have a red sex linked who came clipped I wondered if this is common.

No clipping, have you seen a hen with her beak clipped? The ones I have seen look horrible. But they are your chickens so you rule! I wouldn't do it as the other poster said try to figure out why the pecking. Good luck

I have some birds with clipped beaks because I bought them as started pullets from a major hatchery. They seem to get along just fine, free ranging with everyone else. However, it looks gross! Also, there are easier ways. Put peepers on the troublemakers. After a month, you should be able to take them off with no problems. If the hen still wants to bully, then you can put them back on.
http://www.randallburkey.com/Pin-Less-Peepers-100-Pkg/productinfo/10097/

I just got 6 birds with their beaks clipped and one is really missing most of her top beek. Will they grow back? Should I feed her differently.

No clipped beaks. We got chickens from the Amish who do regularly in our area. They have trouble picking up grain, drinking and being free range. They must turn their heads side ways to gather up food and those with beaks clipped are the smallest and struggle. They say it stops them from pecking but I haven't had problems with my chickens pecking each other as long as you have enough room from them. I say no clipping please.

The beak is actually sensitive and clipping into the flesh is painful, just like you know when you tear a nail. When people cut that far into a beak they are cutting off part of the roof of the chooks' mouth. Mouths are sensitive in general and birds are no exception, even though their mouths have a hard shell on the outside. If you open a chooks' mouth and look into it you can see the flesh goes right to the tip of the beak, just short of it by a few millimeters. I believe it's cruel and unnecessary. It definitely sets the bird back in health because it hampers their eating and drinking.

I have trimmed beaks though, without cutting into any flesh, when I have a chronic egg eater who is teaching others. I use nail clippers and only trim through the see-through overgrowth of the upper beak's edge, again just like when you trim your nails... You don't cut beyond the transparent part that's outgrown the flesh. It doesn't hurt them but removes the sharp edge, so while she can drink and eat normally, slamming the beak into an eggshell isn't the most comfortable thing, just like when you've trimmed a nail down too far and only notice when you try to pinch something or apply more force than just for normal handling/picking it up. It does stop them eggeating until it grows back. Might also stop a chook opening another's skin. I file the tip smooth.

Back
Top Bottom