Clipping a rooster'z spurs???

Ehhh.....I prefer a headlamp with multi brightness settings and a tiltable mount.
The tilt is essential, IMO, to point it up at the ceiling so as not to light an escape path when grabbing a bird, then brightest setting pointed to match up with my multi focal glasses so I can see wth I'm doing whether it be looking for bugs or especially trimming spurs/nails or cling-ons. The older my eyes get the more important this becomes. Have used headlights since camping in my 30's, it was like I discovered sliced bread!! One of the best tools in my possession.

I get all the birds used to my presence and touch by picking them off roosts regularly,
good practice for them and me,
so eventually some barely react, others are less placid.
Omg. Every time you have ever mentioned this, I’ve had this ridiculous vision of you with an actual auto headlight. I don’t know why... I don’t know how I thought you actually navigated with that, or how you kept it lit, or why you had it, or WHAT I was thinking. :th

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

head. Lamp.

like mad scientist in their workshop stuff. I LOVE it, and am perusing amazon now.

I have a head lamp that clips to a ball cap visor. In some ways it's useful, in others not so much. General walking around in the dark? Good. Really wanting to look at something in your hands or on the ground? Not so good. The thing is a bit heavy for being on a ball cap, if you don't have a decent ponytail to hold the cap down, I bet it would be less useful. It does have 3 colors though: bright white, less bright white, and red. I often use the red if I'm sneaking in to grab someone off the roost. But if I were really trying to inspect someone while on the roost, I don't think it would work as well as one you strap to your actual noggin.

Hi all this is very informative. I have two roosters one bantam one silkie. My bantam names Gooch is currently battling scaly leg mites he acts like I’m absolutely murdering him when I have to pick him up so I think it’s good practice even though no one I’ve picked up has calmed down about it at all lol. But apparently he likes his comb rubbed. He has one large spur the other one cracked off when he was attacking my turkey for multiple days before he realized he’s 80 times his size.
The hollow part is cool wow. I don’t think I’ll remove it unless it really becomes a problem I also like them to have the natural protection.

Every time you have ever mentioned this, I’ve had this ridiculous vision of you with an actual auto headlight.
Every time I type 'headlight', I think someone will think that! :gig
Has visuals too.<shuddergiggle>

I have a head lamp that clips to a ball cap visor.
Have worn mine with a ballcap, especially when I needed one to keep my long flyabout hair out of the way...but the bill can get in the way of tipping the light down(and lining it up with my glasses focal point).
I think you can still get a tilting mount on some headlights, and they are not common or inexpensive, but mine is an ancient high end camping gear frame.....have replaced the elastics and had to MacGyver new lamps to it....current lamp (my favorite but not made anymore) is held on with two of those big thick broccoli rubber bands, has to be handled gently.

The little head lamp I have is LED, about an inch across and very bright. Because it is on an elastic strap, it is easy to aim wherever I want - toward the ceiling or under my chin to provide a dim light so as not to provoke the chickens, and directly at the spot I need it to be for close work. It weighs about as much as a quarter. I can tuck it in my pocket. It's very handy. It's also very cheap which is why I bought a handful of them. The elastic on my first one is starting to stretch out and get floppy (after over a year), so I'm glad I have multiples.

Grr! How did u clip tell me tell me it's really hard to clip it they are rock hard spurs I use dog premium nail clippers still ..spur keep growing and curving thats the bad part it's very hard to clip or trim a curved spur
I stopped trimming deep the day someone share a post about his rooster died after spur clipping it's scary

Attachments

• IMG20191220111959.jpg
    IMG20191220111959.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 7
I know this is not at all the answer you are looking for, but leave them, roosters have spurs for a reason, and they are sharp for a reason. You might get cut by him if you go grab him while he’s fighting, but if he fights off something that goes for the hens, you’ll be thankful for those spurs.

Back
Top Bottom