Cloaca plugged - pictures in post

Pics

as110

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Falkland BC
I have been watching this hen for a few weeks now, she has never let me catch her.
She has been excreting water, the sound it makes is
3B87362D-9361-44BB-9F3C-CAF85DAA8CF4.jpeg
hissing, like she is straining to push out. Her back side was dirty but I could never see the extent of the problem. Until this evening. I managed to grab her in the coop where she sat and She was easily accessible.
Her cloaca is completely blocked with dry poop, and enlarged to the size of an egg.

She is soaking in warm water now so I could loosen whatever I am seeing; I don’t want to grab and yank anything out and injure her.

Here is the picture attached. Has anyone seen something like this and what can I do next?

I have been watching this hen for a few weeks now, she has never let me catch her.
She has been excreting water, the sound it makes is View attachment 1903162 hissing, like she is straining to push out. Her back side was dirty but I could never see the extent of the problem. Until this evening. I managed to grab her in the coop where she sat and She was easily accessible.
Her cloaca is completely blocked with dry poop, and enlarged to the size of an egg.

She is soaking in warm water now so I could loosen whatever I am seeing; I don’t want to grab and yank anything out and injure her.

Here is the picture attached. Has anyone seen something like this and what can I do next?

The stuff inside is yellow and feels like a lash egg, rubbery, it crumbles. I can’t pull it out. When it crumbles, it starts to bleed. I know lash eggs don’t bleed.
So it might not be lash egg after all.

So the question is still the same: what is it? Can I save this hen? She is still running around, eating drinking and doing chicken things, flies up to a high perch to sleep. But she is skinny.

If this can’t be fixed, she will need to be put down. I don’t think I want her to suffer.
F2FFCD38-D413-4973-825E-B0CCDB7F375D.jpeg

Hi, first off, I'm sorry to see that your girl is having an issue.

So looking at the pic & it almost looks as if there's been (possibly) a fly strike & it's eaten thru the skin into the cavity? Is that what you think you're seeing? Or does it look like a prolapsed uterus that's happening there? You're correct that just a simple poopy bum isn't going bleed.

If I were looking at that, I would be thinking about a trip to a vet to see if they could do something. If that's not a viable option, based on what you said & what I think I see, I am afraid that I think you are right to think about putting her down.

That just breaks my heart to say. That hissing that she makes as she's excreting water is what's making me think prolapse. And the straining, too...

You certainly can try soaking her daily, working with her, starting antibiotics, giving fluids & food in an indoor, confined environment & see how it goes. I just really want to be wrong.

It stopped bleeding after the second soak. I soaked her twice. Lots of poop came off. I put preparation h around that circle, polysporin on the bleeding part in the middle and antifungal ointment everywhere else. I cut the feathers too. I forgot to take more pictures. She is sleeping in the kitchen so she can dry completely and I will take another picture in the morning before she goes outside. She was preening while I dried her, she was’t freaking out. She is a friendly hen.

I didn’t feel swelling in the abdomen. I don’t think she lays eggs anymore but she used to lay nice big eggs. There is some redness on the skin, I think that’s from the gunk that was stuck to the feathers.

Back
Top Bottom