Cloaca plugged - pictures in post

She couldn’t sleep she was crying all evening and then she started to get louder, making the same sounds when she was trying to poop. She laid on her side but could not get comfortable. I was considering giving her my dog’s pain med but then she started to struggle, I saw she could not lift her head and she curled her neck. Then she started to flap and kick and looked like she had a seizure. I held her down so she would not flap and she relaxed and in about 10 seconds she was gone. Her back side made a noise and she stopped breathing. It was very fast in terms of the end, but slow considering how long I was trying to fix her.

I will look in the morning what’s inside and I expect something like lash eggs pressing on her insides causing the urge to poop constantly.

So sorry to hear about your hen dying after such a long time caring for her so well. You really worked hard to help her recover, and it is sad that her problem eventually took her life. Please take a lot of pictures of the organs as you first see them, and if there is any yellow fluid that comes out. Take pics of the liver and other organs, and many will look at those, hopefully offering suggestions.

This so sad & makes me tear up right along with you. Poor little Miss Explorer 2.0. I know that you did everything possible to save her & it's likely that she knew too.

I am sorry that she didn't make a full recovery but am glad that if she couldn't get better that she went to chicken heaven. Like everyone else, I will be curious to see what you find inside.

The hardest thing about having chickens is not being able to keep them healthy & with us forever. I'm in no rush to leave this world, yet I will be excited to see my girls & boys in the next world.

So sorry to hear about your hen dying after such a long time caring for her so well. You really worked hard to help her recover, and it is sad that her problem eventually took her life. Please take a lot of pictures of the organs as you first see them, and if there is any yellow fluid that comes out. Take pics of the liver and other organs, and many will look at those, hopefully offering suggestions.
I sure will.
I had a hen last year that died from salpingitis. I have pictures of her insides and several fist size lash eggs. It’s just those pictures look so severe, I didn’t want to post them anywhere. I have them in a thread here somewhere. If this hen is the same, I know I will have more. I can see some eggs have imperfect shape or wrinkles in the shell. We will not get more chickens until this flock is gone because we don’t want to cull the entire flock because we don’t grow them for the meat and they are our pets.

Back
Top Bottom