Clostridium?!

We did a fecal float yesterday and saw possible tapeworm ova.
I'm wondering if it's a lack of eating too. We did have a soft egg laid about 1-1.5 wks ago and have since assumed it was from he. We lost a bird last year to peritonitis, she was definitely lethargic, penguin a stanced and barely moving. Shirley is definitely not exhibiting those symptoms.

I'm no expert, but from what I understood tapeworm eggs are shed in segments of the tape worm's body that are too big to be seen microscopically, so a faecal float isn't usually able to pick them up. You might want to check the scale of the object you saw to be sure it is a tape.
I'm afraid I can't help as regards gut infections and antibiotics.

Well...I'm keeping everything crossed, but her stools seem to be thickening up! Still really green, but with occassional bits of brown.

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_182914.jpg
    IMG_20180116_182914.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180116_182911.jpg
    IMG_20180116_182911.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 4
That's an encouraging development. Let's hope this trend continues. I've seen some extremely dramatic responses with antibiotics. It's why I don't hesitate to jump right in with one at the first sign of serious unexplainable illness.

Agreed!!! I'm really hoping this continues!
Could you give us an update? Did your hen continue to improve? Or did you have to give her antibiotics? I have an outbreak of clostridium in my flock and I've been treating them with Tylan 200 given orally twice a day. Last night was the last dose and though their droppings are better they are still not quite normal.

Back
Top Bottom