Clucking or Sneezing/Coughing?

Loliver

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Good morning! I have a 12 week old lavender Ameraucana. For the last two weeks she has been letting out this one single cluck and kind of ruffling her feathers. She’s eating fine, she’s drinking, she isn’t behaving strangely and there is no discharge from her eyes/mouth plus her mouth isn’t open (doesn’t look like she’s laboring to breath or gasping).
Basically I’m trying to rule out an illness or sickness since the videos I’ve seen of chickens sneezing or coughing are really high pitched noises. Hers literally sound like she’s trying to cluck but hasn’t put the clucks together yet.
What does everyone suggest I do? I just received a notification last night that we have three Silkies coming in tomorrow and I want to make sure I don’t cross contaminate even with keeping them separated.

I have several different breeds and I also just got some Ameraucana's who are about 4 months old. I have noticed that they make very usual clucking and talking sounds, and they seem to do it alot. I was wondering the same thing.. is this normal? I had Ameraucanas about 10 years ago and do not remember if they were really talkative birds or not, but I am just keeping an eye on it since they are looking and acting normal.
That makes me feel so much better because the more I read, the more scared I became that she was really sick. I’m going to keep watching her though just in case. Thanks again!

That makes me feel so much better because the more I read, the more scared I became that she was really sick. I’m going to keep watching her though just in case. Thanks again!

Loliver: Yeah, I have had chickens for over 20 years. Never once worried about them, none of them got any disease, I never had to Google one single thing concerning chickens and NEVER even thought of giving them medicine for anything.. They were chickens, they lived in their coop and laid eggs and eventually died- either at the hands of a predator - or old age- or what the heck ever else. When I joined this site this year, after all those years of living peacefully with my chickens I read about all the things that are 1) gross 2) scary 3) worrisome and I became more observant- and " saw sickness " and worms and disease when I looked at the flock I once enjoyed. - I found myself really not wanting to have chickens anymore. I had to quit reading all the post on here and just go back to feeding, watering and enjoying my chickens. If they all get some dread disease and I miss it and they all die- well, I am sure there are new chickens on the horizon. -

I have several different breeds and I also just got some Ameraucana's who are about 4 months old. I have noticed that they make very usual clucking and talking sounds, and they seem to do it alot. I was wondering the same thing.. is this normal? I had Ameraucanas about 10 years ago and do not remember if they were really talkative birds or not, but I am just keeping an eye on it since they are looking and acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom