Clueless about emu but INTRIGUED

Just don't wear the same shoes or clothes that you wore to their place in your chicken run area.

I'm interested to hear what you encounter when you go there!
I'll let you know - though it'll probably be spring. They have a huge flock of ostrich - easily 30+ maybe as many as 50. Much smaller flock of Emu, and then probably 20+ peafowl. I'm assuming he's selling for meat. They are on my way to Dartmouth hospital - so I drive by way too often - but they put up a big barn about 2 years ago, and then suddenly the ostrich appeared.

I'll let you know - though it'll probably be spring. They have a huge flock of ostrich - easily 30+ maybe as many as 50. Much smaller flock of Emu, and then probably 20+ peafowl. I'm assuming he's selling for meat. They are on my way to Dartmouth hospital - so I drive by way too often - but they put up a big barn about 2 years ago, and then suddenly the ostrich appeared.
I want to get ostrich so bad just because I have previous experience with them and they are like big dogs. Well at least my grandfather's were...

'I have previous experience with them'

It's gonna be nice to have you here then. We've actually had very few ostrich folk over the years.

[Cassowaries in captivity are tres rare. There are a few rhea folks around. I'm pretty sure the ownwership of kiwis is illegal.]

SE

'I have previous experience with them'

It's gonna be nice to have you here then. We've actually had very few ostrich folk over the years.

[Cassowaries in captivity are tres rare. There are a few rhea folks around. I'm pretty sure the ownwership of kiwis is illegal.]

SE
I love ostrich. I only remember what I learned from my grandfather as a child, but I do want to get them. I saw from incubation to hatching to growing out. It was such a fascinating time in my life. One of the reasons I have my chickens and ducks is because of my grandfather.

303C0A91-E1A9-48F0-9FE3-4CDDE87789E9.jpeg 32E28FE9-59E3-4447-B06D-B92BC999E1E7.jpeg 7B7C1B46-95FA-4C80-8A0F-622F98C98F81.jpeg Hi. I’m happy to be responding to you as an owner of 14 emus. (They are like potato chips, can’t have just one!)

I LOVE my emus! They are sweet, funny, and independent. Having children around emus requires the same respect as having children around horses. They are a large animal so rules need to be followed so no one gets hurt. Emus are not aggressive like the cassowary and they will not disembowel a person. That has never happened. Like with all animals, some are friendlier than others. I spend a lot of time with mine and also socialize them by inviting visitors to our farm. They recognize a Folger’s container from across the yard and come running for the food they know they’ll find in it.

I put your questions in italics with my response underneath. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Why don't many people have emu?
They are a large animal that require a large paddock so they can run with a 6’ high fence so they can’t jump over it. They also have a large appetite.
Why are the eggs for eating so expensive?
Females don’t start laying until they are at least 18 months old. Some don’t start until they are almost 3 years old. They lay approximately 30 to 50 eggs a year and most will only lay if they are with a mature male Emu.
So to answer the question, it’s expensive to produce Emu eggs!
I assume the females lay without a male?
No. Only 6% of mature female emus will lay without a male and it’s only under certain circumstances that those 6% will lay. There is an article on that subject at the below link.
http://Facebook.com/floridaemu
Are they picky about how many of each gender live together?
Yes! Emus are best raised as 1 male to 1 female. In a colony setting it can be helpful to have a couple extra males to sit on nests after the incubator is full - but you do not want more females than males. That rarely works out well.
Can they co-exist with other species?
Yes! I’ve had them with ducks, chickens, rabbits, pigs, dogs and cats. Fellow emu farmers have them with horses, llamas, alpacas, goats and sheep too.
Are they dangerous even if raised from babies?
IMHO, emus are not dangerous. As with any large animal they require respect, but not fear.
(If you were asking me about the Cassowary my answer would be ruuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!)

Is there a market for the eggs?
Yes.
I love that they lay when other breeds stop for the season. Seems great for supplementing in winter. Am I wrong?

There’s a large market for emu eggs so you are not wrong. Fertile eggs ship well.

Attachments

• 4D86E8A4-EA66-4BDC-B884-B952DBD33959.jpeg
    4D86E8A4-EA66-4BDC-B884-B952DBD33959.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 72B023BB-BBB4-480D-8DC9-72C6AA681D84.jpeg
    72B023BB-BBB4-480D-8DC9-72C6AA681D84.jpeg
    682.7 KB · Views: 14
'Some don’t start until they are almost 3 years old.' -- Oooooh! Thanks, Emu Islands. This is a part of my puzzle!

'and most will only lay if they are with a mature male Emu.' !!

SE

View attachment 1985465 View attachment 1985463 View attachment 1985462 Hi. I’m happy to be responding to you as an owner of 14 emus. (They are like potato chips, can’t have just one!)

I LOVE my emus! They are sweet, funny, and independent. Having children around emus requires the same respect as having children around horses. They are a large animal so rules need to be followed so no one gets hurt. Emus are not aggressive like the cassowary and they will not disembowel a person. That has never happened. Like with all animals, some are friendlier than others. I spend a lot of time with mine and also socialize them by inviting visitors to our farm. They recognize a Folger’s container from across the yard and come running for the food they know they’ll find in it.

I put your questions in italics with my response underneath. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Why don't many people have emu?
They are a large animal that require a large paddock so they can run with a 6’ high fence so they can’t jump over it. They also have a large appetite.
Why are the eggs for eating so expensive?
Females don’t start laying until they are at least 18 months old. Some don’t start until they are almost 3 years old. They lay approximately 30 to 50 eggs a year and most will only lay if they are with a mature male Emu.
So to answer the question, it’s expensive to produce Emu eggs!
I assume the females lay without a male?
No. Only 6% of mature female emus will lay without a male and it’s only under certain circumstances that those 6% will lay. There is an article on that subject at the below link.
http://Facebook.com/floridaemu
Are they picky about how many of each gender live together?
Yes! Emus are best raised as 1 male to 1 female. In a colony setting it can be helpful to have a couple extra males to sit on nests after the incubator is full - but you do not want more females than males. That rarely works out well.
Can they co-exist with other species?
Yes! I’ve had them with ducks, chickens, rabbits, pigs, dogs and cats. Fellow emu farmers have them with horses, llamas, alpacas, goats and sheep too.
Are they dangerous even if raised from babies?
IMHO, emus are not dangerous. As with any large animal they require respect, but not fear.
(If you were asking me about the Cassowary my answer would be ruuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!)
Is there a market for the eggs?
Yes.
I love that they lay when other breeds stop for the season. Seems great for supplementing in winter. Am I wrong?
There’s a large market for emu eggs so you are not wrong. Fertile eggs ship well.

I am so glad an emu owner finally responded with all the details! Good to know they really aren't aggressive...I know cassowaries are extra-dangerous, and just assumed emu could be as well due to their size and sharp claws.

Is it true that Emus will try to eat anything shiny (and most everything else that they should not be eating)? I've heard that, but do not know if that is true.

Back
Top Bottom