CLUELESS.... and worried

May 17, 2023
Hi everyone. You all are so helpful when ever I have a question and want to do right by my flock. My craziest hen of the bunch. A golden laced polish has a very long beak that just keeps growing. I never would have ever considered trimming was a thing or even accepted in the hobby until a friend of mine said you know if she starts having problems eating you might have to trim it. I looked up some information and sure enough I saw people do that. And its sort of like trimming your dogs nails. I'm terrified of doing this but before I consider it I would like you all to see her. This week she began showing trouble picking things up. And at the rate it's going it might impair her lower jaw movement. Can some of yall tell me of I'm over reacting or should I think of trimming soon?

Attachments

• 20240402_140726.jpg
    20240402_140726.jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 27
I think filing is likely to be better than trimming - it is a sensitive area with lots of nerve endings, so slowly would be important.
Also, many chickens, at least those with some degree of freedom, do this for themselves by wiping their beaks from side to side on a hard surface. Mine use the concrete blocks that hold up the chicken coop structure as well as hard packed dirt, rocks, and my shoes.
Does yours have some hard surfaces she can use?

I think filing is likely to be better than trimming - it is a sensitive area with lots of nerve endings, so slowly would be important.
Also, many chickens, at least those with some degree of freedom, do this for themselves by wiping their beaks from side to side on a hard surface. Mine use the concrete blocks that hold up the chicken coop structure as well as hard packed dirt, rocks, and my shoes.
They have complete freedom and she does do that on the porch. The others as well. It looks more like she's cleaning off her beak than filing it. But needless to say she has the means and freedom to do this bit it doesn't seem to be working maybe. The picture is tough but if you zoom in it's clear her beak is growing more than normal

You can use one of those battery powered callous removers to file down the beak. I read an article on here about it once. You do it slowly/gradually over time to get the hen used to the sensation and also so that you don’t file too quickly down to the nerve endings and let the quick recede naturally. Some hens just have more of an issue with the long beak than others.

Thanks everyone. Today I wrapped her in a towel and took the same tool that was used in the article you all recommended I read, and barely teased the tip of the curve down. Tommorrow I will repeat. She behaved and was very patient with me.

Back
Top Bottom