C'mon! People in the UK! Unite! How do you deal with that wet soppy weather, that wind, do you have BHWT hens? How are you and your hens?

They have a big covered run almost completely enveloped in a tarp, and a dry clean house always. Also, they are used to it!
We don't have any very feathered legged ones though.

They have a big covered run almost completely enveloped in a tarp, and a dry clean house always. Also, they are used to it!
We don't have any very feathered legged ones though.
We have a large run with electric fencing... about 30m perimeter. Currently we have a temporary tarp over part of it to protect from the rain. We are planning to go grab a bunch of pallets and use tarps, chicken wire and bird netting for the UK Avian Flu order...

Yeah... I think it's coming here too. Luckily I got our special silkie before they stop us I had to drive for hours silkies aren't common here.

Yeah. We used to have a little baby silkie pet but a fox got it. Now we have a pretty new hen. I love leghorns too! THE BEST layers EVER.

Yeah. We used to have a little baby silkie pet but a fox got it. Now we have a pretty new hen. I love leghorns too! THE BEST layers EVER.
Never had any of them I'm afraid. But they remind me of a chef, in chef's whites with a big floppy red hat! We live in the countryside and have had no animal attacks. Our electric fencing is only 3ft but nothing's come into our property and we've never seen a fox in our property. Our neighbours have a field and lost a hen to a fox whilst she was free-ranging...they keep them in an electric fenced area too now. I let the chooks out to free-range under supervision sometimes, they love looking under the leaves!

Hi :frow
I have 3 hens (White Leghorn & 2 Bantam Araucanas) in an enclosed run with clear tarp roof, keeps the rain/snow out mostly. The hens turn over the soil-straw mix in the run... I encourage them with a helping hand and big old garden fork :) They love digging with me and there are lots of happy/excited squeaks if I even touch the handle of the fork🤣
(Got the 4m x 5m tarp from Toolstation for about £20)

Back
Top Bottom