Coalition of Animal Sanctuaries Urges Ban on Backyard Chickens

Quote:
This is exactly why I think it's important to know where these groups are coming from and look beneath the surface of what seems to be a reasonable statement sent to city officials. Somebody on page 1, for example, looked up one of the groups and found that, as we would suspect, they explicitly state on their site they want to promote vegetarianism.

When writing/talking to city officials who have received this coalition's position paper advocating the ban on chicken-keeping, do you think it would be worthwhile to include a few non-emotional statements of fact about the goals of some the groups in the coalition?

Quote:
Like chickens, humans are omnivores! Ever notice the amount of Fake meat products in the freezer case so that Vegans can satisfy that natural urge?! Just saying.....
wink.png

Quote:
That's one of my biggest fears - that the only voice people who aren't chicken keepers hear is the perspective of this organization.

Quote:
I first saw it on the website theoildrum.com. It was in response to a previous discussion topic about chicken-keeping . The coalition said they wanted people to hear "their side of the story." I commented on that thread (I post there as "lilith"- old handle!), and then they sent their statement directly to my email.

Then I posted about it here, and somebody emailed me saying that in her city, where she and others are trying to get the ordinances changed to allow chickens, the coalition sent all the city officials a copy of the statement.

My guess is that they are or will be targeting cities considering allowing chickens. Based on a poster in this thread from Minneapolis, I'm guessing they sent it to gov't officials in areas where their groups are located:

Animal Place (Northern California)
Chicken Run Rescue (Minneapolis)
Eastern Shore Sanctuary and Education Center (Vermont)
Farm Sanctuary (shelters in Watkins Glen, N.Y., and Orland, Calif.)
Sunny Skies Bird and Animal Sanctuary (Warwick, NY)
United Poultry Concerns

Let's just say the group manages to get backyard flocks banned somewhere. That means that everyone will have to go to the grocery store for eggs & chicken. You buy your dozen eggs. They came from a big poultry house that houses only hens, sometimes in awful conditions- confined, lights on 24/7, fed who knows what. Even these places get their chicks from SOMEWHERE so, what happens to all the roos? Most likely killed at birth, if one slips by, probably killed at the egg house. So all the roos get culled. At least some backyard owners rehome some of the roos. Seems their chances are better with us.

You buy your chicken parts from the grocery store. How exactly does a chicken benefit from being killed in processing plant as opposed to a flock owner? Dead is dead and I guarantee most by owners make sure the bird is really gone before dunking in the boiling water.

Mice & rats? Are you kidding? I've never found signs of either in any of my coops. They do, however, live comfortably in my attic and they would be there chickens or no chickens. I do have fewer bugs of all sorts than I used to!

The only point I agree with is that new flock owners be educated about proper care. This doesn't have to cost any city a penny, I bet there are many of us who would offer to teach a class for free, I know I would.

Yes, I'm vegetarian, but I absolutely can't stand the thought of big business or the government controlling my food supply. I was fortunate to be able to move out to the country to regain that control, but not everyone has that option. Even if you have to live in the city you should be able to raise what you can & know what you're eating if you choose.

Back
Top Bottom