Cocci in 3 week old chicks, one is just pooping blood. This is my first experience with Cocci

May 23, 2018
Hoping for some help and advice with the treatment and care of my chicks with Cocci, they are 3weeks old and I hatched them from eggs fertilized by my rooster that has passed. This is my first experience with chicks and I've only had chickens about year, I've learned so much from reading here and knew this was a possibility, almost seemed like a guarantee they would get it, so before they even hatched I made sure I had Corid. Yesterday one of them was on the little roosting bar and and went to the bathroom and it was straight blood and a fair amount for a tiny body, the others don't show any signs but I immediately started treating everyone even hens who are separate a moderate dosage I found on here of 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. The one chick, Shelby, is still passing just blood, which I wasn't expecting, I had thought it was blood in the dropping but this all blood and alot of it. Today I am going to bump the dosage to 1.5 teaspoons per gallon. The dosages I found are from a post on here.I have a few questions I hope some of you could help with.

Would this be the best dosage, or is there a safe super does or something that could help?

Is there anything more I can do to help or make them feel better? Vitamins, Nutra-Drench? Can they even have these things?

So far they have only had chick starter and I've seen a few eat little spiders that have gotten in, can I give them anything else to keep there strength up, like eggs. I give my girls scrambled eggs with garlic,red peppers and oregano.

Shelby is the sickest and still all blood and alot of it should I separate (with a buddy) so it's calmer and quieter?

What more could I be doing to help?
Sorry for the long post and so many questions and thank you in advance for any help and advice you can offer.
This is also my first question posted, so if it is not in the correct place or anything else please let me know so I correct it

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony Any of you have the proper dosage level?

Sorry you are having trouble. Do not add vitamins while treating woth Corid since it works by blocking thiamine to SLOW the growth of the coccidia.

Change out your shavings, make sure they are dry. Mine were wetter under neath than they looked on top once.

I wouldn't separate the chicks showing bloody stool UNLESS she wasn't responding to being stepped on or jostled and in danger of being trampled or picked on. I would be sure to scoop out the bloody poos at every chance. And make sure the water is refreshed EVERY time you see a dropping in it since that is the fastest way for cocci to spread.

Number one thing to help correct the situation (aside from Corid)... More space and keep the brooder dry and water poo free.

:fl

The 3/4 teaspoon dose in the moderate outbreak dose and the 1.5 teaspoon dose is the severe outbreak dose, which is what most people recommend.

1.5 teaspoons of powder per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 are the directions for a severe outbreak.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony Any of you have the proper dosage level?

Sorry you are having trouble. Do not add vitamins while treating woth Corid since it works by blocking thiamine to SLOW the growth of the coccidia.

Change out your shavings, make sure they are dry. Mine were wetter under neath than they looked on top once.

I wouldn't separate the chicks showing bloody stool UNLESS she wasn't responding to being stepped on or jostled and in danger of being trampled or picked on. I would be sure to scoop out the bloody poos at every chance. And make sure the water is refreshed EVERY time you see a dropping in it since that is the fastest way for cocci to spread.

Number one thing to help correct the situation (aside from Corid)... More space and keep the brooder dry and water poo free.

:fl

Thank you for the fast response and all the helpful information! I definitely won't be giving any vitamins. The brooder is fairly clean, well as clean as I can keep it:lol: they're messy little things, I clean poops through out the day and change shaving every 3 days, but I am going to change everyday now because of this. I also use Oxine to clean the floor. They are in a brooder box with Mom and 8 chicks, that is 3x4x3, that I thought was big enough for now but do you think I should try to figure out something else. Thanks again for your help!

The 3/4 teaspoon dose in the moderate outbreak dose and the 1.5 teaspoon dose is the severe outbreak dose, which is what most people recommend.

1.5 teaspoons of powder per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7-14 are the directions for a severe outbreak.

Thank you so much for your reply, yours is the post I found the dosages! It was such a great, informative and we'll researched post. Im never really confident in dosages(of any med) because so much different information everywhere, but your post made it so easy and I didn't have to second guess myself or the doses. Thank you!!! And thank you for the super dose information.
Yes I have a mail scale that can weigh Oz grams, and Milligrams

That's great that you have a scale. Okay to give 3-4 drops (concentrated solution) per 100 grams of body weight. Let me know if you need help figuring out the math. :)

I personally would integrate that broody back to the flock asap so she can be the one who does it while she is all crazy like still, if that is possible... though I don't know about probably waiting until after treatment is complete so you don't have to treat everyone, unless you want to. :confused:

Otherwise I would say that it probably is getting a bit tight in there if those are large fowl chicks and broody. The chick starter shouldn't hurt your other girls and may even benefit them, as long as you provide oyster shell on the side. Am I being silly presuming that you have more flock than just the broody and babes? :oops: I would also go ahead and give them a giant dirt clod (roots, grass and all) to play with and get some grit and a little exposure to other microbes. Even now, I think it will give them something to peck at other than shavings or poo. We put polka dots on our brooder walls. And I bet that mom would really enjoy a good dirt bath, sometimes I bring in loose dirt in a pan. I'm sure the mum and babes would also love to share a little scrambled egg. While it is nutritious, I still use it and treat it as a treat. :)

Also, only one of the 9-11 species of coccidia actually present as blood in the stool. As scary as I KNOW those watery blood poos are :barnie... I still believe you have caught it early and should not experience severe side effects... Are you seeing anyone standing around with eyes closed, puffed up, not really eating much already?

The first time I had to treat it, was after sending chicks straight out for a full day on pasture at my new home where the previous owner had a ton of birds and I didn't kn ow about gradual exposure building immunity... the bird that made bloody poos not every single one was that way. But after I started treatment it did take two days for it go away, so I even took a fecal sample to the vet to verify I was treating the correct thing. They did offer to sell me another product (sometimes cocci are resistant to amprolium and a sulfa drug is used) and confirmed I did have a cocci load. I chose to wait and see if my treatment would work knowing I wasn't seeing any lethargy or other symptoms than a bloody poo here or there and I could return if things started to decline. It did end up clearing quickly thereafter with no signs of worsening... I DID have to learn to adjust the dosage to make up for the amount of water in fermented feed since I USED to do that.

Good luck! :fl

There are 9 types of cocci that chickens get. There are two types of the nine that cause blood in feces: E.Tenella and E. Necatrix. Corid is ineffective in treating both these type of cocci, they are killers. A sulfa drug is needed to treat E.Tenella and E.Necatrix and the sooner the better.
Sulmet and sulfadimethoxine require a script by a vet. Perhaps you can talk to a local vet and ask him for either of these drugs to treat your chick. Otherwise you you can order SMZ-TMP online, but time is critical as your chick can die.
It would be a mistake to put other chicks in close proximity to Shelby.
You'll need to disinfect everything with an ammonia/water solution. Bleachwater and/or soapwater does not kill cocci.
If you cant get a vet to help you, here's a link where to get SMZ-TMP w/o script:
https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/bird-sulfa/all-pet-supplies-medications-bird-fish-antibiotics
Most likely you will have to give her the mixture orally with an eyedropper to the side of the beak often until she can drink it on her own. If other birds start pooping blood, give the same treatment to them.

Back
Top Bottom