Cocci vs. coccidia

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure that the breeder has finished the full treatment and then keep an eye on them, and your current chickens. If they are adults, they shouldn't have too much risk.
I have a few in the brooder 3 1/2 weeks old and the ones from the breeder are about the same age 4 weeks

When you are new to raising chickens, you need everything to be exact. That way we get the correct information we need. As I have said I'm reading a lot of threads to learn as much as I can about the chicken diseases. Thanks for being the police for grammar, spelling, and terminology as we all need it. Thank You.

When you are new to raising chickens, you need everything to be exact. That way we get the correct information we need. As I have said I'm reading a lot of threads to learn as much as I can about the chicken diseases. Thanks for being the police for grammar, spelling, and terminology as we all need it. Thank You.
Being accurate makes helping people so much easier.
I often see a new post and the title says something like 'My hen has' a problem of some sort. Then only to find out after giving advice for a hen several posts in that they are talking about 3 week old chicks.
Or the opposite, someone asks about their chicks or babies when they really have 2 year old birds. :barnie Exasperating.
Just for clarification, female chickens up to a year of age are pullets, over a year are hens. Cockerels are under a year, roosters or cocks are over a year.
And 2 year old birds haven't been chicks for a long time.

It is OK not to know things because if one doesn't know, they just don't know, but.
I think if someone starts a new endeavor, they should get a book or research an internet site like the 'Learning Center' of BYC rather than jump in with both feet and no knowledge. I've seen posts to the effect - "I've got my chicks, now what?"

People with many different species of animals (chickens, turkeys, goats, dogs, cats, etc.) have problems with one or more species of the protozoa coccidia.
Cocci is really a misnomer when referring to the protozoa that causes intestinal problems but I see it written here all the time. Cocci is any spherical microorganism, usually a bacterium.
Coccidia which causes coccidiosis is a protozoa - not bacteria.
I'm pretty sure when people use the term cocci, they really mean coccidia.
Sorry to be such a stickler but terminology matters.
@JacinLarkwell

People with many different species of animals (chickens, turkeys, goats, dogs, cats, etc.) have problems with one or more species of the protozoa coccidia.
Cocci is really a misnomer when referring to the protozoa that causes intestinal problems but I see it written here all the time. Cocci is any spherical microorganism, usually a bacterium.
Coccidia which causes coccidiosis is a protozoa - not bacteria.
I'm pretty sure when people use the term cocci, they really mean coccidia.
Sorry to be such a stickler but terminology matters.
@Chicken_Hannah

Back
Top Bottom