Coccidia Coccidia and more Coccidia- Ammonia or "Rescue"?

Ollieman0916

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
Hi all! From my post you can clearly tell I have an ongoing coccidia problem. It was confirmed with a vet fecal smear after Dr. Google didnt solve the problem.

Ill keep it as short as possible. I have 23 chickens (today)- Split in 2 groups- large and bantam sharing a divided coop/shed with hemp bedding (deep litter)- large chickens free range and bantams are in a covered 16x20 run with sand.

Large group are about a year old and my first group. They are currently free ranging in my muddy back yard.
Bantam group- started with 16 and am down to 8. I put the chicks out in the coop at 6 weeks with an Ohio brooder and dropped the temps until they were fully feathered and it has been off for about a month. I have lost 7 in the last 3 weeks. Saw some bloody poop, treated with safeguard and corrid (highest dose) for 1 week. a week later 1 died, then 4 the next day. Took 2 more sick ones to the vet and found very high levels of coccidia. Started a sulfa antibiotic (3 week course) and vitamins. Removed ALL deep litter from the small side of the chicken coop and removed as much feces from the sand as possible. One of those 2 lasted 5 days and then passed. The other one is still alive but does not appear to be thriving by any means. Then yesterday (1.5 weeks into meds) one of the ones who was sick weeks ago (of course my favorite Serama baby) dropped dead overnight but was perfect the day prior.

My question is what the hell to do now. I know coccidia will always be present but I would like to get the population numbers down. Id like to somehow get as much coccidia out of the sand as possible- removing it isnt an option right now- its about 4-5 tons of sand with another 4 tons of gravel underneath.

Ammonia 10% solution? Sprayed on and then rinsed thoroughly?
Rescue (formerly accel concentrate) sprayed on the sand?
Blowtorch the sand? (yes I have one)

To further complicate things I have 2 silkies sitting on a dozen or so eggs due to hatch in 1.5-2 weeks. 1 is in the large side of the coop and the other is in my garage temporarily. They both need to go n=back into the bantam side but I am afraid the chicks will contract it quickly and die.

Help Please!!!

Why don't you put down wood pallets and rubber mats on top, raising up the level of the ground? It might also be beneficial to enclose it in a run as well, to ensure your flock is protected from predators, which can be covered to minimize rain and continued flooding. Than you can rinse the mats every so often and maintain a cleaner environment for your birds.

Why don't you put down wood pallets and rubber mats on top, raising up the level of the ground? It might also be beneficial to enclose it in a run as well, to ensure your flock is protected from predators, which can be covered to minimize rain and continued flooding. Than you can rinse the mats every so often and maintain a cleaner environment for your birds.

The chickens that are in the yard (part mud pit part yard) are actually the healthy ones. The ones in the covered run with sand are the only ones getting sick.

Can you ask your vet about switching to toltrazuril (Baycox) for treatment? Since many strains of coccidia are resistant to amprolium and sulfas, this is something to consider.
I have it and have used it a few times, each time it has saved my bird.

How many bantams do you have left? I would move them and set them up in temporary housing until I know what to do. Could you brood some of the hatching chicks indoors, in case the hatching chicks don’t make it?

I’m not sure if any of those solutions would remove the coccidia, sorry to hear youve had to deal with this :hugs

How many bantams do you have left? I would move them and set them up in temporary housing until I know what to do. Could you brood some of the hatching chicks indoors, in case the hatching chicks don’t make it?

I’m not sure if any of those solutions would remove the coccidia, sorry to hear youve had to deal with this :hugs
I have 8 left plus 2 silkies and their eggs. I dont really have anywhere else to put them unless I bought a prefab coop and put them in a different section of my yard that the chickens haven't been in. I would still need to figure out how to disinfect the coop/sand area they would be going back into.

Can you ask your vet about switching to toltrazuril (Baycox) for treatment? Since many strains of coccidia are resistant to amprolium and sulfas, this is something to consider.
I have it and have used it a few times, each time it has saved my bird.
I will definitely ask! Thank you! What did you do about cleaning when you had the issues?

Back
Top Bottom