Coccidiosis in my chickens?

pickledfriend

In the Brooder
May 8, 2023
My two sebrights hens (both 12 weeks) have very suddenly turned lethargic and weak. They're both very spunky and adventurous little birds so I was shocked to see that when i had checked on them yesterday, all they were doing was moping around and sleeping. They didn't seem too drawn away from the flock, but they could barely keep their little eyes open. Their little combs are pale, their feathers looked very ruffled, and their tail feathers were droopy. They weren't very interested in eating or drinking either, but this morning they seem to be drinking a little more. When one of them did poop it was very watery and foul smelling.

Last night, i had went to tractor supply for coccidiosis medicine and one of the kind ladies there gave me lots of advice on making sure they had plenty of electrolytes in their water along with the Corid treatment. I brought them inside to quarantine from the rest of the flock, (although I am also treating the others for it) but they don't seem to be improving much, aside from drinking a little more. She also suggested that it could be mites or heat stress.
They haven't been itching/scratching, and I had checked for mites on their skin, but I couldn't find anything. Despite the temperature raising pretty rapidly in the past week, they really haven't shown any sign of being overheated. I was watching out for the panting and lifted wings, but their breathing is fine and they keep on huddling together, almost dog piling on top of eachother, so I doubt they're overly hot.

When I get home from work, I'll try weighing them, (although I'm not sure if I should be looking out for weight loss or gain?). I've been cleaning out their coop biweekly and disinfecting it once a week, so I'm not sure if that's overkill or not enough to stop disease spread.

If anyone has any knowledge/tips for treatment I'd be very grateful. These chickens are my babies, and it pains me to see them suffer so much. My nearest avian vet is roughly two hours away from me, and very very expensive, so sadly it isn't an option.

Attachments

• 20230604_195516.jpg
    20230604_195516.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230605_083216.jpg
    20230605_083216.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230605_083137.jpg
    20230605_083137.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230605_083203.jpg
    20230605_083203.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 10
I’m not an expert on these things, unfortunately, but by replying, more people will see. I would say, just keep giving them water. You can also give them some raw or scrambled egg to boost them a little. I wouldn’t recommend the egg whole- that can lead to egg-eating.

I’m not an expert on these things, unfortunately, but by replying, more people will see. I would say, just keep giving them water. You can also give them some raw or scrambled egg to boost them a little. I wouldn’t recommend the egg whole- that can lead to egg-eating.
Thank you. We've been offering them a little bit of scrambled egg in the mornings, along with poultry cell. They've perked up quite a bit, but I think they still have a way to go before a full recovery

Thank you. We've been offering them a little bit of scrambled egg in the mornings, along with poultry cell. They've perked up quite a bit, but I think they still have a way to go before a full recovery
That’s great to hear. Have you seen them preening or taking dust bathes? Self-care is huge when it comes to recovery, and I don’t know if they have a dust bath area. Also, I just noticed the original post saying that you’re cleaning their coop twice a week. Can you tell me what ‘cleaning and disinfecting’ entails?

That’s great to hear. Have you seen them preening or taking dust bathes? Self-care is huge when it comes to recovery, and I don’t know if they have a dust bath area. Also, I just noticed the original post saying that you’re cleaning their coop twice a week. Can you tell me what ‘cleaning and disinfecting’ entails?
Originally, they completely stopped taking the time to preen/bathe because of how lethargic they were, but they seem to be gaining back a little more energy to preen themselves, which makes me hopeful.
Sorry for not being too specific in the original post. In their coop I clean their poop out twice a week, and then at the end of the week I use a vinegar solution to spray down areas where alot of dropping have accumulated. I like to give it a good hosing off after its soaked for a while, and then I replace their bedding.
I'm a first time chicken owner, so I'm genuinely not sure if that's not enough/too much. If you have any advice or corrections I'm open ears!

Are you still using the Corid? It should not be mixed with anything, and you should not be giving b vitamins while on Corid. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water as the only source for 5-7 days.,
They just finished their last dose today. Oh no, I had no clue it couldn't be mixed with anything. The tractor supply lady said that it wouldn't hurt them any, but I definitely should have done a little more research. Does the extra vitamin b hurt them?

Corid works by mimicing Thiamine or vitamin B 1, so you don’t want to give them extra thiamine, which all vitamins contain. Make sure that your coop is dry as a bone, pick up droppings, and add fresh bedding often. Keep the waterers up to shoulder height so they don’t poop in them.

Back
Top Bottom