Coccidiosis - medicate or not

Karien

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 14, 2014
Hi, I have 5 chicks, 4 aged around 4 weeks, 1 a bit older.

Earlier this week that all started to have (very) bloody poo, and of course I was worried and had a poo test done. Vet confirmed they had coccidiosis, which did not surprise me as my older hens have had it too. I had just put them in together for a bit earlier in the week.

Vet prescribed some meds (sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim) but it was hard to get my hands on so took a while. In the meanwhile the chicks have perked up a lot, the poo looks normal, and they are active. I was surprised as I have found coccidiosis to kill very fast in the past, with older hens too.

Should I still give the medicine? I know they need to build up immunity as our jungle garden is full of it. Would that go better with or without the medication. Of course will give when things get worse. And will wait a little longer to introduce them to the others.

Personally I would treat. Even if they seem to be getting better, you want to get an overload under control, so your chicks can build resistance. I would think that long-term low level infection would exacerbate lesions, intestinal irritation and impact future production.
Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom