coccidiosis, mites worms transmission chick to human

welshterrier

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
can they and how? ppl here telling me beware.
had 14 chicks for about a year incl roosters and new batch of 7 just arrived

Your chickens are safe to be around. Most illnesses in chickens will not make humans sick. Mites and lice are bird specific and can not live on humans. You can deworm your birds if you think they are infected. Tell everyone that is worried to wash their hands after touching them (as with all animals) and avoid licking their behinds.
wink.png

Enjoy your new babies.
smile.png

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Thank you!

I'll have to tell my paranoid friend that. I think they all got freaked out by that bird flu thing. The poultry farms here (Malaysia) as well as the poor pigs are totally filthy usually run by Chinese farmers.
can't figure out how to post pictures, but I would love to post the new little chicks as well as a couple of cocks, feather plumes flying. One of them fell in the pool and they are quite good swimmers. One is gimpy, the other two roosters jumped on him and he was trying to come in the house until the dogs told him otherwise.
I got three from market who were just about to have their heads chopped off. they are now huge and beautiful. And after I figured out what a hen looked like got a hen and now have 21 totalled.
I got the roosters because my dogs caught ticks at a dog show. So this post is really about that.

After a thorough spring cleaning with bug spray to kill the live ticks (they were everywhere: mattress, rugs, plants in the garden...), bleach, salt, and borax I got rid of the ticks in two weeks with the help of chickens to eat the ones in the yard.

We have not had a tick or flea since, due to the chickens and I don't have to put that foul useless poison on my dogs' neck anymore.

thanks again.

;;t uaght

welcome-byc.gif

I hope your boys are not fighting too much. I would not want to hear they hurt one another.

New members can not post pictures right after joining but you will be able to soon. I would love to see them.
smile.png

I joined almost 6 months ago when the hen laid her first two eggs and I thought she had to sit on them and keep them warm.

Haha just ignore them and the hen sits when she is ready,

I am a klutz with websites. There must be an upload place for pics but it si not jumping out at me.
The two HUGE ones fight but give up after the usual plume and foot play.

I separated the poor little gimp after they must have jumped on him. He was not lame when I got him from the market. Too bad he is lame and prob wil not be able to mate because he is just beautiful. The two big ones have given me pretty ugly children and they look like prehistoric ones themselves. Sooo big sooo ugly. He has the front garden with many ladies.

They are pretty ugly breed anyway, apparently brought to USA from Malaysia by the Brits and began the Rhode Island Red breed. they are called kampung chickens very very hardy. Oh that is exactly what they look like! ...go to this url:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malay_(chicken)

They listen to you talk and the gimp comes up every morning to say hello.

Brattish Tazz: I'm logging out now ... have to go into town hopefully I'll be able to find you later and I sent your suggestion not to lick the chickens' bums to the chinese friend but no reply, not good at self-deprecation I presume

the above post is correct lice and mites are bird specific, as is coccidia, there are I think 7 strains of it for poultry, and countless others for mammals, but all strains have to go to the proper host with coccidia. Chicken coccidia can not affect a dog or cat or vice versa, no coccidia strain affects humans. Worms on the other hand can be in humans, BUT it is very highly unlikely. Like they said, dont lick their butt or eat their poo and you wont get them, LOL
I REALLY hope that's not an issue, LOL

DSC01726.JPG

Still haven't quite got the hang of this posting pictures I see. I browsed and then tried to post the same picture again just to check and it said the picture was already in my file, copy the file number and paste in my .... so there it is folks ... hope you like the DSCO1726. it was a very cute head shot of a i hour old chick. Then mummy with many chicks. Then my terrier trying to see the babies. Oh well.

hmmm the last post with pic worked so bear with whilst I experiment. This is kinda like getting lost. You can't find you way again because you got lost so there is no replicable route.

These cuties hatch with mummy sitting on btw. I don't understand the incubators. If you have a chicken why not let her do the work? New to this. But enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom