Coccidiosis? Mycoplasma synoviae?

Triple5hot

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
It's me, hi...I'm the problem, it's me...lol

I don't know what to do. Follow up from my last post - Bougie B passed away in August. Guess what...now another baby (13 weeks) is beginning to wobble around. Shortly after this video (earlier this week), I started the whole flock on Corrid again. I caught her gaping once...so I felt it was a good idea (possibly even a preventative measure for the others).

Yesterday, I noticed that she (along with some others) are sneezing. Since I have no access to a vet to run tests (other than fecal), what should I do? I have VetRx, but know it doesn't treat respiratory infections... Any other suggestions? I also have Duramycin, should it be a respiratory infection....which I know could be a permanent thing.

What would you do?

I see the wind blowing the bird.

I don't really see any sneezing. Do you you notice mucous from the nostrils or bubbles in the eyes?

See that the chicks are eating a nutritionally balanced Chick Starter or an All Flock feed that is 18-20% protein. Provide grit free choice.

If you wish, you can give her a boost of vitamins for a couple of weeks. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a bit of egg for the uptake of E.

Your thread from August can be found HERE. It includes detailed instructions on dosing of Corid and other medications that you had requested/mentioned.

I see the wind blowing the bird.

I don't really see any sneezing. Do you you notice mucous from the nostrils or bubbles in the eyes?

See that the chicks are eating a nutritionally balanced Chick Starter or an All Flock feed that is 18-20% protein. Provide grit free choice.

If you wish, you can give her a boost of vitamins for a couple of weeks. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a bit of egg for the uptake of E.

Your thread from August can be found HERE. It includes detailed instructions on dosing of Corid and other medications that you had requested/mentioned.
Thank you! Yes - she wobbles like that even when the wind isn't blowing. I feel like it's even getting worse...and it appears she is losing weight. It's very suspicious to me that the other two pullets passed away around the same age. :(

Marek's comes to mind. I understand it can cause paralysis, which could explain the weird walk. Bougie B wasn't able to stand during the end stages.

I exclusively feed Scratch n Peck, along with free choice oyster shell crumbles for the older girls. They have a 60x70 run filled with trees, bushes and dirt. They free-range all over my property from 1:30pm on...so get plenty of grass.

I started my flock 2 1/2 years ago and this has been the worst year for my additions. :( In fact....earlier this spring, I had an Ayam Cemani pullet. Around the same age, she stopped walking on one leg completely. She ended up hopping around everywhere until she was attacked by either a turkey or predator...and we had to euthanize her.

The rooster in the bunch is a big, beautiful Longcrower...that also walks funny...and sits down a lot. Maybe these symptoms are all connected. The fecal sample results from Bougie B tested positive for Coccidiosis...so I assumed that's what's going on again. But...maybe it's bigger than that. My poor babies. 😭

You don't really need a near by vet to do testing. Your state lab can help...if you are in the US. What state are you in?

Sounds like you may have brought Marek's disease in with the Ayam Cemani.

You don't really need a near by vet to do testing. Your state lab can help...if you are in the US. What state are you in?

Sounds like you may have brought Marek's disease in with the Ayam Cemani.

Crap....that's when it all started. It's interesting how it only affects the younger birds (under 20 weeks). Do you think the older ones will be fine? Have they developed a natural immunity, maybe?

I live in Washington State. I had contacted the state vet in August about sending her body in for necropsy. I wonder how complicated of a process it is...since it needs to be sent to the other side of the state. If this pullet passes away, I can keep her refrigerated...but the shipping process is daunting. I wish I could just drive her to Puyallup, but they said they don't accept birds at their lab there. Bummer.

Crap....that's when it all started. It's interesting how it only affects the younger birds (under 20 weeks). Do you think the older ones will be fine? Have they developed a natural immunity, maybe?

I live in Washington State. I had contacted the state vet in August about sending her body in for necropsy. I wonder how complicated of a process it is...since it needs to be sent to the other side of the state. If this pullet passes away, I can keep her refrigerated...but the shipping process is daunting. I wish I could just drive her to Puyallup, but they said they don't accept birds at their lab there. Bummer.
I would definately get a necropsy done. It will give you answers and help you figure out how to proceed.
You can overnight a bird via UPS.

I would definately get a necropsy done. It will give you answers and help you figure out how to proceed.
You can overnight a bird via UPS.
I really appreciate your guidance!!!

So if that's what it is...my flock will have it forever. I will have to wait to start a new flock until they have all passed on. And even then - I would have to wait months and months before starting over. I read that some hatcheries offer vaccines - but why bother if the bird can still catch it. Right?

I'm off to run errands - thanks again for your help. ❤️

I really appreciate your guidance!!!

So if that's what it is...my flock will have it forever. I will have to wait to start a new flock until they have all passed on. And even then - I would have to wait months and months before starting over. I read that some hatcheries offer vaccines - but why bother if the bird can still catch it. Right?

I'm off to run errands - thanks again for your help. ❤️
Pretty much...you'll have to learn how to deal with things as they arise.

Back
Top Bottom