Coccidiosis or something else? [photos]

BayFillyZ

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Alabama
~~2 year old Ameraucana hen
Symptoms: for a week she has not been active. Prefers to rest on the ground in the sun while the other birds scratch around. When standing, her head is drawn into her shoulders and she stands on one foot. She's obviously not feeling well. Her crop feels normal. She is still eating a little--- crumbled up hard boiled egg yolks this morning and some stratch. I dewormed her 2 days ago with Valbazen. Haven't noticed her drinking though. Her poo is whitish and watery. I'm leaning toward Coccidiosis or Enteritis or both. Please give me some ideas on what I can do for her. I have Corid liquid on hand and penicillin G.

**Closed flock.

Winnie doesn't feel well.

Her droppings this morning:

Usually, if one of my birds looks sick and I have no idea why, I do treat them with Corid and Penicillin injections. I also bring them up on the patio and make them a special breakfast every morning.

Last edited:
Usually, if one of my birds looks sick and I have no idea why, I do treat them with Corid and Penicillin injections. I also bring them up on the patio and make them a special breakfast every morning.

Seminolewind, do you do both corid and penicillin at same time? If so how many days? Can I inject penicillin subcutaneously? There's not much meat left on her breast area.

I fed her eggs this morning and again this afternoon which I turned into a slurry so I could make sure she was getting fluids. She gobbled/drank it up.
She's no worse this evening but still seems a little puny. I'll fix her breakfast in the a.m. too.

If she were men I would start weighing her daily on a digital kitchen or postal scale and if she lost *any* weight I would tube feed her.

-Kathy

I started the liquid Corid this morning. (Can I also add ACV and/or rooster booster to corid water?) So penicillin as opposed to Duramycin? I think of penicillin being more for wounds and tetracycline for other types of infections. My penicillin is old. I'm going to the feed store later for more so I could get either antibiotic.

Hen seemed a lot more vigorous yesterday than today. I thought she was getting better by just some extra TLC so I left her with her flock but we had a really cold night and this morning she seems cold and less interested in food. I have her inside in cage now. I am wondering could she be weakened by something else like anemia. I checked her over for mites under a magnifying glass. I couldn't see anything except she does have a tender patch of really crusty skin on her back at her tail which I have been assuming was healing process after rooster damage (it used to be bare there) now I'm wondering if it could be mites or lice even though I haven't seen either on her. her comb is not a bright red but pink but I wouldnt say its pale or colorless either.
This is a photo of her crusty and so new feathers.

You can also give her the liquid Corid orally. The amount I give mine is .2ml per 2.2 pounds (20mg/kg). Had one 200 gram chick the other day that was pooping pure blood, gave him one or two drops along with his medicated water and no blood the next day.

As for putting other medicines in the water, my concern with that is that they won't want to drink as much as they should. I see that you have horses... Do you have any Safeguard or Panacur on hand?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom