Coccidiosis Urgent advice ??

lulu1642

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have an unwell chicken. She was fine last week on Saturday I noticed lethergy and not her normal self and she is currently indoors - have attached photos. Currently treating for coccidiosis (started Sunday) saw improvement in her yesterday, she ate and drank but her diarrhea is as attached photos.....have wondered if it is something else? She was wormed about 2 weeks ago, she is a couple of years old and currently seperated. Have just seen I can drench her for coccidiosis which I didn't know. Anybody think I should try antibiotics instead I have some for chickens at home. Thanks in advance. Lou

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 13
I would try to see a vet. That bright yellow/sulfur colored dropping is abnormal, and could be a sign of a reproductive infection such as E.coli. I would gather some fresh droppings in a plastic bag before seeing a vet. If you have an antibiotic such as enrofloxacin, that might be helpful.

Has she been laying eggs recently? Have you ever seen thin shelled or shell-less eggs, or has she had any droppings with egg matter? Is she eating and drinking? Is her crop emptying overnight?

Hi, thanks for your reply. She is now on antibiotics (today). She started laying last year with no problems and has just started again after the winter. All eggs I have seen have been fine. Eating and drinking yesterday and had a wander about but not much. Her crop was empty this morning and today not eating, mainly sleeping. I have been rehydrating with a syringe. Will mash some normal food and see if I can syringe some down and keep her going to give time for antibiotics to kick in - if they do.

Back
Top Bottom