Coccidiosis

Chickenlady246

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
I was going to pick up two chickens today to add to our small flock of four and the woman told me all her chickens were treated for Coccidiosis for four weeks and that was at the beginning of September. She says they are fine now. A four week treatment seems very aggressive. Are they likely fine now?

IF it was just cocci then yes, they should be fine. But I tend to lean away from buying from backyard flocks now. I once did and my entire flock was infected with MG, and lifelong,incurable respiratory disease. I always buy from hatcheries now.

IF it was just cocci then yes, they should be fine. But I tend to lean away from buying from backyard flocks now. I once did and my entire flock was infected with MG, and lifelong,incurable respiratory disease. I always buy from hatcheries now.
Thank you! We decided to go with a local farm instead. We picked four today and boy do they smell. I’m not sure why but hopefully the odor goes away soon. Sort of smells like cow poo. I suppose that’s better than cocci 🙄

I would still quarantine for at least 4 weeks. That gives some time for any illnesses to show up before you expose your flock.

Thank you! We decided to go with a local farm instead. We picked four today and boy do they smell. I’m not sure why but hopefully the odor goes away soon. Sort of smells like cow poo. I suppose that’s better than cocci 🙄
They may smell if the living condition was dirty and muddy. I agree with above to still quarantine for 4 weeks at least.

Back
Top Bottom