Corid: Is a maintenance dose necessary?

If you’ve given them a supplement that contains B1 thiamine at the same time as the amprolium medication, the two cancel each other out.

Have you been giving the supplement for the entire duration of the Corid treatment? How are your birds now?
Hmmm... Didn't realize that. They are fine now. Some of them stilll have loose poops, but I assumed that was due to the Corid

Yeah so the amprolium blocks the uptake of thiamine B1 by the coccidia, that’s how it works. But obviously the bird doesn’t get the vitamin either which is why you can give the supplement afterwards.

I’m not sure if the best course of action would be to completely retreat at the higher dose without the vitamin supplement, or do the maintenance/lower dose sans vitamins… There are some experienced people on here who help me a lot and maybe they have a clearer answer? @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Yeah so the amprolium blocks the uptake of thiamine B1 by the coccidia, that’s how it works. But obviously the bird doesn’t get the vitamin either which is why you can give the supplement afterwards.

I’m not sure if the best course of action would be to completely retreat at the higher dose without the vitamin supplement, or do the maintenance/lower dose sans vitamins… There are some experienced people on here who help me a lot and maybe they have a clearer answer? @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Thank you! 🤦‍♀️ I sure hope someone else chimes in and I'm glad I asked. I was using Rooster Booster if that makes a difference.

Rooster Booster is a brand name. What was the product you were using? Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then you can decrease that dosage to 1/3 of that for another 5-7 days. Thiamine or B1 should not be given for the duration of Corid.
I was giving the 1.5 tsp per gallon of Corid. I was giving them Rooster Booster at the same time. I think it has B1 (Thiamine) in it. Since I goofed up, do I need to start treatment over completely? Or stop the Rooster Booster and continue with a lower Corid dose? They've been on this dosage for 7 days.

I’m just going off the instructions on my amprolium medication. I’m in Australia so it’s not “Corid” but it’s the same active ingredient to treat coccidiosis.

The instructions that I have give a full treatment dose for 5-7 days, then a lowered treatment dose for 5-7 days, and also a separate preventative dose which is the intermittent dose each four days.

If you’ve given a full treatment dose for two weeks you could perhaps stop and see if your flock maintains health. Especially if the ground has dried out and you’re not expecting lots more rain.

Your birds may need a thiamine supplement also after treatment because amprolium works by blocking thiamine.
good information here.

Back
Top Bottom