Corid: Is a maintenance dose necessary?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
Back on August 6 I started giving our flock 1.5 tsp/gallon Corid. It's time to stop the full treatment dose, but is it recommended that I drop to a maintenance dose? Or is recommended that I give them a two week break and then retreat (like some parasites?)

Thanks!

I wouldn't treat for nothing. I believe the least medication is best. It's unnecessary and could possibly make cocci resistant if fed constantly. Keep them all natural to keep strong blood in your flock.
Well, considering she was dying and had bloody diarrhea, she needed treatment. It's inhumane not to treat a sick animal. A couple of days later, one of the others had similar symptoms. The rest started showing early symptoms that same evening, so I treated them, too. It was either that or watch my entire flock of baby chicks die. Thank you, though.

Well, considering she was dying and had bloody diarrhea, she needed treatment. It's inhumane not to treat a sick animal. A couple of days later, one of the others had similar symptoms. The rest started showing early symptoms that same evening, so I treated them, too. It was either that or watch my entire flock of baby chicks die. Thank you, though.
You asked about a maintenance dose not actually treating an overload. It seems like you already answered your question with your flip response, thanks though

Some people advocate for as little treatment as possible, others advocate for full courses of treatment as prescribed.

Do you mean the maintenance dose as a lowered dose for a period of time? There is also an intermittent preventative dosing every four days to interrupt the life cycle of the protozoa.

My understanding is that after the full course of treatment, you drop to a lowered dose for a further specified time. If your flock was that badly affected, I would follow that instruction.

I know that when we have heavy rainfall here, even my adult birds can have trouble with coccidiosis. In those cases I do the preventative dose for about two weeks.

I just edited this post to hopefully make it easier to read.

You asked about a maintenance dose not actually treating an overload. It seems like you already answered your question with your flip response, thanks though
@sdm111 I apologize if my previous response came across as dismissive or rude; that wasn't my intention. When you mentioned "I wouldn't treat for nothing," I thought you meant you wouldn't treat anything ever. I genuinely meant my "thank you" and value your input. While I mostly agree with your natural approach, sometimes nature doesn't cooperate. I saw a maintenance dose more as a "preventative" than a "treatment." I misunderstood your message but was sincere. Thank you for taking the time to reply; I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Some people advocate for as little treatment as possible, others advocate for full courses of treatment as prescribed.

Do you mean the maintenance dose as a lowered dose for a period of time? There is also an intermittent preventative dosing every four days to interrupt the life cycle of the protozoa.

My understanding is that after the full course of treatment, you drop to a lowered dose for a further specified time. If your flock was that badly affected, I would follow that instruction.

I know that when we have heavy rainfall here, even my adult birds can have trouble with coccidiosis. In those cases I do the preventative dose for about two weeks.

I just edited this post to hopefully make it easier to read.
They've been on the treatment dose for almost two weeks. So your suggestion is to lower the dose and continue? And this did start after a bout of heavy rain.

I’m just going off the instructions on my amprolium medication. I’m in Australia so it’s not “Corid” but it’s the same active ingredient to treat coccidiosis.

The instructions that I have give a full treatment dose for 5-7 days, then a lowered treatment dose for 5-7 days, and also a separate preventative dose which is the intermittent dose each four days.

If you’ve given a full treatment dose for two weeks you could perhaps stop and see if your flock maintains health. Especially if the ground has dried out and you’re not expecting lots more rain.

Your birds may need a thiamine supplement also after treatment because amprolium works by blocking thiamine.

I’m just going off the instructions on my amprolium medication. I’m in Australia so it’s not “Corid” but it’s the same active ingredient to treat coccidiosis.

The instructions that I have give a full treatment dose for 5-7 days, then a lowered treatment dose for 5-7 days, and also a separate preventative dose which is the intermittent dose each four days.

If you’ve given a full treatment dose for two weeks you could perhaps stop and see if your flock maintains health. Especially if the ground has dried out and you’re not expecting lots more rain.

Your birds may need a thiamine supplement also after treatment because amprolium works by blocking thiamine.
I've been giving them rooster booster for that reason. It also has electrolytes which helps during this crazy heat we've been having.

If you’ve given them a supplement that contains B1 thiamine at the same time as the amprolium medication, the two cancel each other out.

Have you been giving the supplement for the entire duration of the Corid treatment? How are your birds now?

Back
Top Bottom