Coccidiosis

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
One of my boys feathers are looking really badly ruffled, at first, i thought it was him probably just shedding and getting ready for his winter plumage, but, ive also noticed he is significantly lighter than his brother at the moment and im starting to get concerned; Holdereads book says that the signs of coccidiosis are weight loss, ruffled feathers and blood in their poop - thankfully there are only two of the three signs here but I'd love a more experienced opinion.

He seems to be eating, and no loss of appetite but the details in Holdereads book made me go out and get some medicine, unfortunately, all i could find was a coxoid oral solution for pigeons, so i dont know if it will work, or if its even the right thing (it might not even be coccidiosis?)

Any advice from the experts would be amazing!
IMG_20220924_112730.jpg

IMG_20220924_112156.jpg

One of my boys feathers are looking really badly ruffled, at first, i thought it was him probably just shedding and getting ready for his winter plumage, but, ive also noticed he is significantly lighter than his brother at the moment and im starting to get concerned; Holdereads book says that the signs of coccidiosis are weight loss, ruffled feathers and blood in their poop - thankfully there are only two of the three signs here but I'd love a more experienced opinion.

He seems to be eating, and no loss of appetite but the details in Holdereads book made me go out and get some medicine, unfortunately, all i could find was a coxoid oral solution for pigeons, so i dont know if it will work, or if its even the right thing (it might not even be coccidiosis?)

Any advice from the experts would be amazing!
View attachment 3270004

View attachment 3270002
Do you have Corid over there (I think you're in the UK, right?)? That's what we've gotten before, though we've never used it. But the stuff you have says amprolium, which I think is what's in Corid. But I don't know dosages and such.

Corid? No idea amprolium is the name of the drug that came up when researching coccidiosis treatment
I've read that people will give Corid to flocks even if they just think they might have it but don't know for sure. So it might be fine to try out if the right dosage is figured out. But I don't know for sure and will defer to more experienced goose people.

I get too scared when my geese/ducks seem sick and will drive the 5-hour round trip to the vet. XD So I haven't done as much home treatments with them yet. Good luck though, and keep us updated! (And now I'm also a little paranoid because my gander's feathers have been looking scruffy and dirtier than usual. I hadn't thought of coccidiosis till I saw your post!)

I don’t know what the dosage is out of that brand, not that I’m good with dosages anyway.
Casportpony might be able to help you with that if you message her.

Corid is amprolium, amprolium is pretty safe compared to some other coccidia medications.

Your gander looks like he’s molting, the other in the back looks like he’s about to start dropping feathers too. Do yours always molt this time of year?
With coccidia I think what it means by ruffled feathers is that they fluff their feathers a bit when ill, though if coccidia is present when molting and affecting their digestion it can cause really rough extended molts.

Treating them for coccidia won’t hurt even if they don’t have it, molting can mess with their immune system so it’s not a bad thing to give them a little extra help just in case. I’d also get them some extra protein and calcium to help them through the molt, soldier fly larva or meal worms would be an excellent source of both, dry cat food isn’t a bad option either.
Vitamins also.

Can you take a poop sample to the vet? Hows his poop?
I ordered a worm testing kit from amazon, there apparently a voucher to send it away to a lab, so yes, ill be doing that over the next few days....both geese on almost 100% pellet diet, i give them cucumbers and assorted veggies when i can but theyve eaten all thr grass in the garden so poop is often pretty sloppy anyway - no change in consistency or colour since i noticed these changes in him though and no blood.

Do you have a recent picture on how he is doing. Getting better or worse? Is he improving or going down hill? Is this the same boy with the puffy heal from a few months ago? Did it heal or is it still poofy. Did it heal and the swelling go down? Just things to ask yourself without going crazy. Just questions I know thous 2 boys are your life.

Not the same goose, no, but Norbert doesnt seem to be losing anymore weight; currently at work but i will yake a picture of him later...he seems to have lost all of his waterproof feathers from his neck down. He still has flight feathers on his wings, of course, but he is still looking pretty scraggly as its all exposed down on his chest.

Oh I don't know! Maybe he has gotten past the worst of it and he is, albeit, very slowly on the mend? Gosh, i so hope so, but its so stressful when there isn't. Much information available to us like there would be for a dog or a cat owner; its very much a case of "rely on the community and hope for the best"

Even getting a vet will be more difficult to us, simply because of how rare having a pet goose is, while he is like this i am feeling so guilty that i didnt just get a normal animal that was easy to diagnose (all my research said geese were incredibly hardy!) Yet what bothers me most is knowing that birds hide their illness and it's often too late when its obvious; maybe thats causing me to be hyper vigilant and worry more than i should???

Back
Top Bottom