Coccidiosis

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
One of my boys feathers are looking really badly ruffled, at first, i thought it was him probably just shedding and getting ready for his winter plumage, but, ive also noticed he is significantly lighter than his brother at the moment and im starting to get concerned; Holdereads book says that the signs of coccidiosis are weight loss, ruffled feathers and blood in their poop - thankfully there are only two of the three signs here but I'd love a more experienced opinion.

He seems to be eating, and no loss of appetite but the details in Holdereads book made me go out and get some medicine, unfortunately, all i could find was a coxoid oral solution for pigeons, so i dont know if it will work, or if its even the right thing (it might not even be coccidiosis?)

Any advice from the experts would be amazing!
IMG_20220924_112730.jpg

IMG_20220924_112156.jpg

One of my boys feathers are looking really badly ruffled, at first, i thought it was him probably just shedding and getting ready for his winter plumage, but, ive also noticed he is significantly lighter than his brother at the moment and im starting to get concerned; Holdereads book says that the signs of coccidiosis are weight loss, ruffled feathers and blood in their poop - thankfully there are only two of the three signs here but I'd love a more experienced opinion.

He seems to be eating, and no loss of appetite but the details in Holdereads book made me go out and get some medicine, unfortunately, all i could find was a coxoid oral solution for pigeons, so i dont know if it will work, or if its even the right thing (it might not even be coccidiosis?)

Any advice from the experts would be amazing!
View attachment 3270004

View attachment 3270002
Do you have Corid over there (I think you're in the UK, right?)? That's what we've gotten before, though we've never used it. But the stuff you have says amprolium, which I think is what's in Corid. But I don't know dosages and such.

Corid? No idea amprolium is the name of the drug that came up when researching coccidiosis treatment
I've read that people will give Corid to flocks even if they just think they might have it but don't know for sure. So it might be fine to try out if the right dosage is figured out. But I don't know for sure and will defer to more experienced goose people.

I get too scared when my geese/ducks seem sick and will drive the 5-hour round trip to the vet. XD So I haven't done as much home treatments with them yet. Good luck though, and keep us updated! (And now I'm also a little paranoid because my gander's feathers have been looking scruffy and dirtier than usual. I hadn't thought of coccidiosis till I saw your post!)

I don’t know what the dosage is out of that brand, not that I’m good with dosages anyway.
Casportpony might be able to help you with that if you message her.

Corid is amprolium, amprolium is pretty safe compared to some other coccidia medications.

Your gander looks like he’s molting, the other in the back looks like he’s about to start dropping feathers too. Do yours always molt this time of year?
With coccidia I think what it means by ruffled feathers is that they fluff their feathers a bit when ill, though if coccidia is present when molting and affecting their digestion it can cause really rough extended molts.

Treating them for coccidia won’t hurt even if they don’t have it, molting can mess with their immune system so it’s not a bad thing to give them a little extra help just in case. I’d also get them some extra protein and calcium to help them through the molt, soldier fly larva or meal worms would be an excellent source of both, dry cat food isn’t a bad option either.
Vitamins also.

I thought it was just a molt at first, but then i started to notice he was significantly lighter than his brother too, which is odd, as they are usually roughly around the same weight, and is the main reason, combined with the bad feathers that made me think something must be wrong. i got some scales along with the amprolium so that i can monitor him; given this mix is for pigeons im going to assume a goose has to take a larger dose based on their much higher bodyweight, so the 28ml per 4 litres it recommends, im just doubling

It's good to know that this medication is relatively safe because i have no clue how much or how little he should be having, plus, he splashes 80% of what i put in his bucket on the floor anyway, so, most of it is wasted (annoying, its not cheap!)

These guys only have a relatively small back yard to hang around in and are both in close proximity to each other all the time, so, im a little suprised they both aren't showing symptoms of something being wrong, small mercies, if something is, i suppose, but Other than the drop in weight and messy feathers, Norberts appetite and general behaviour hasn't changed at all...its all very confusing.

If it isnt coccidiosis, do you think maybe he could have some kind of worm issue? I didnt want to treat for both at the same time incase there were dangerous drug interactions...if so, what is the most appropriate worming treatment? That might explain why he is significantly lighter and beep beep has stayed the same weight??

Iv always wondered if your in the UK Im in Colorado but one thing I do know it is eating season in the Northern Hampshire. My geese are now turning there noise up to grass and eating 3 times what they normally consume of flock raiser/duck pellets and sprouts. For some reason there bodies are telling them put on fat. I worm with a topical cattle wormer. This time every year. Eprinex (eprinomectin) never had a bad reaction I put 1/2cc under there wing on there shin. Never had a bad reaction, But pumpkin is a natural de-wormer and also cleans up the digestive track so if you could figure out to get him to eat some cooked shredded over his food might help. In dogs and humans pumpkin or orange squash can turn diarrhea to solid constancy and constipation into movement. Wasn't sure how to say it. I keep caned pumpkin in the pantry its amazing. Please listen to everyone else for the real help these are just some add ons. Let us know how he dose

Thanks, yes we are in the UK, pumpkins should be going on sale here soon, with Halloween not far away, so i might tey that.

Norbert is still much lighter and feathers messey even after nearly a week of the coccidiosis treatment, so when the bottle is empty, i might try some dewormer...which would you recommend again?

Thanks!
Iv always wondered if your in the UK Im in Colorado but one thing I do know it is eating season in the Northern Hampshire. My geese are now turning there noise up to grass and eating 3 times what they normally consume of flock raiser/duck pellets and sprouts. For some reason there bodies are telling them put on fat. I worm with a topical cattle wormer. This time every year. Eprinex (eprinomectin) never had a bad reaction I put 1/2cc under there wing on there shin. Never had a bad reaction, But pumpkin is a natural de-wormer and also cleans up the digestive track so if you could figure out to get him to eat some cooked shredded over his food might help. In dogs and humans pumpkin or orange squash can turn diarrhea to solid constancy and constipation into movement. Wasn't sure how to say it. I keep caned pumpkin in the pantry its amazing. Please listen to everyone else for the real help these are just some add ons. Let us know how he dose

Thanks, yes we are in the UK, pumpkins should be going on sale here soon, with Halloween not far away, so i might tey that.

Norbert is still much lighter and feathers messey even after nearly a week of the coccidiosis treatment, so when the bottle is empty, i might try some dewormer...which would you recommend again?

Thanks!
eprinomectin should be in the UK it is a topical cattle livestock wormer. I use a 1cc syringe fill it 1/2 then apply it under there wing where there are not as many protective feathers. I do it this time of year since my girls are not laying

Back
Top Bottom