Coccidiosis!!!! :(

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
My 3 day old has coccidiosis, and I’m treating it already but I can barely BARELY get her to eat or drink at all and I have to force her water with a syringe, she doesn’t stop crying all day no matter what. She crys under the brooder plate, while I’m holding her, if I try to feed her, etc never stops. What the heck do I do? Her sister is 4 days old and runs and jumps around but she can’t even walk she kind of leans backwards and sits on her bum..

My 3 day old has coccidiosis, and I’m treating it already but I can barely BARELY get her to eat or drink at all and I have to force her water with a syringe, she doesn’t stop crying all day no matter what. She crys under the brooder plate, while I’m holding her, if I try to feed her, etc never stops. What the heck do I do? Her sister is 4 days old and runs and jumps around but she can’t even walk she kind of leans backwards and sits on her bum..

Thanks but I dipped her beak in water and food it spits it out please help it’s gonna die it’s so weak now 😭

But this evening she WONT eat or drink anything she refuses even when I get it into her mouth she shakes it out and starts screaming
Can you please post photos of the chick and her poop?

At 3 days old, likely there's something else going on besides Coccidiosis.

Can this chick get her feet under her and stand up?

Try giving a little sugar water. If you have a syringe, give her one drop at a time.
If you don't have a syringe, then dip a Qtip in the water, tap it so it's not too saturated, then press the Qtip to the side of her beak and let a drop of water roll around her beak so she can take it in. It's a tedious process, but this is one way to get drops of fluid into a tiny chick.

Have you given her some undiluted Corid? In addition to the treated water, you can give 0.1 ml twice a day for a few days. Get her swallowing some of the treated water and some wet feed by dipping her beak every hour or so. Usually coccidiosis strikes laster than at 2 days, so it could be something else wrong that you may not be able to treat. I hope she gets better.

@Purelychicks
I highly recommend that you purchase SMZ-TMP to treat your chick or she will die. Corid will not be effective in this instance.
Here's where you can order it and I recommend that you expedite shipping:
https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-medications/products/trimethoprim-sulfa-powder-generic
Follow the directions on the package. In the meantime, try giving the chick a few drops of buttermilk as needed (or mixed in feed) via an eyedropper until you get the SMZ-TMP.
I’m sorry it’s too late she’s barely hanging on she is gasping for air and making eating motions but she won’t est or drink even With a syringe and she hasn’t pooped in a day but we have tried to massage her but and it’s not external.. she’s gonna die probably within an hour.. 😭

Have you given her some undiluted Corid? In addition to the treated water, you can give 0.1 ml twice a day for a few days. Get her swallowing some of the treated water and some wet feed by dipping her beak every hour or so. Usually coccidiosis strikes laster than at 2 days, so it could be something else wrong that you may not be able to treat. I hope she gets better.
Thanks but I dipped her beak in water and food it spits it out please help it’s gonna die it’s so weak now 😭

Can you please post photos of the chick and her poop?

At 3 days old, likely there's something else going on besides Coccidiosis.

Can this chick get her feet under her and stand up?

Try giving a little sugar water. If you have a syringe, give her one drop at a time.
If you don't have a syringe, then dip a Qtip in the water, tap it so it's not too saturated, then press the Qtip to the side of her beak and let a drop of water roll around her beak so she can take it in. It's a tedious process, but this is one way to get drops of fluid into a tiny chick.

Attachments

• BAC6882E-EA75-42DB-B04F-7B4F6ED84754.jpeg
    BAC6882E-EA75-42DB-B04F-7B4F6ED84754.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 881E08D6-8A09-4EA1-85FE-FF8B8A85CBA6.jpeg
    881E08D6-8A09-4EA1-85FE-FF8B8A85CBA6.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 923F178D-D5E5-4689-B298-AF089D4021DD.jpeg
    923F178D-D5E5-4689-B298-AF089D4021DD.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 7
  • F192A116-A38A-465A-9373-DA9C85A0527F.jpeg
    F192A116-A38A-465A-9373-DA9C85A0527F.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 6
I accidentally read that as 3 week old, not 3 day old. That looks like Coccidiosis, but she's not likely to get exposed to it in a brooder. I wonder if she has something else going on, like failure to thrive or a birth defect.

What is she eating? Are these symptoms new?

Back
Top Bottom