coccidiosis

NCricky

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Hi everyone, I'm brand new here and just got my first chickens (6), RRR's 16 weeks old. I'm in the process of building my coop now and have them in a stall in my barn for now. I've got a question for someone who can answer it. The man I got them from said that they where vaccinated and not to feed medicated feed. Does that sound correct to you? Also I raise goats and have feed the goats waste would that be ok to feed the chickens? It has coccidiosis med in it. thanks

Coccidiastats - the stuff in medicated feeds are safe for chickens. They are NOT an anti-biotic. They only prevent an overload of the dangerous bacteria by inhibiting the bacteria's uptake of vitamins, they don't prevent the chick/chicken from developing a normal immunity to it. Which is what is necessary.

Vaccinations do not affect coccidia. He doesn't know what he thinks he knows. Coccidiastats don't prevent the development of a normal immunity so they're safe.

At sixteen weeks they should be well on their way to their own immunity but no, it won't hurt for them to get into the goat feed.

Make more sense?

Back
Top Bottom