Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Took a couple of new pics tonight. I have a feather question: We had another frizzle cochin and her feathers were a solid feather but curled. Our new cockrel, his feathers are soft, almost like a silkie and when he got wet in the rain, his feathers hung down like wet hair. Does that mean he has frizzle somewhere?

Sorry it's not very clear. He wouldn't sit still.

Took a couple of new pics tonight. I have a feather question: We had another frizzle cochin and her feathers were a solid feather but curled. Our new cockrel, his feathers are soft, almost like a silkie and when he got wet in the rain, his feathers hung down like wet hair. Does that mean he has frizzle somewhere?

Sorry it's not very clear. He wouldn't sit still.

If thats his pic, then yep he is Frizzle, and mighty pretty too!

If thats his pic, then yep he is Frizzle, and mighty pretty too!
I know he's a frizzle, what I am trying to figure out is why his feathers are so different from the previous Cochin Frizzle we had. I am wondering if he has something else mixed in that isn't showing up anywhere but in his feather type.

This was our other frizzle cochin. See how her feathers are solid but curled? His aren't solid. More silkie like.

Oh, sorry i misunderstood. Don't have an answer for that except I've had several Frizzles and they all did not have the same kind of feathers, some, soft, some real skinny, some broad.
Is there a chance your bird has some Silkie in it?

Oh, sorry i misunderstood. Don't have an answer for that except I've had several Frizzles and they all did not have the same kind of feathers, some, soft, some real skinny, some broad.
Is there a chance your bird has some Silkie in it?
That's what I am wondering but he certainly looks all cochin except when he is wet. Then he looks like a drowned sheep dog.

Another question on behavior: I just pulled the baby roost out so that they must roost on the big roosts. I have seen all my other up there in the day except him and they are (2nd night) all roosting with the hens, except him. He is tucking himself under a shelf in the corner. The banty cochins we had before roosted, even the frizzle. But I do notice that he really has no flight feathers to speak of. Even his wing feathers are soft so I am sure he has little to no flight ability. Even the silkie does better than he does. The silkie is roosting with the hens. Go figure?

this is moe.

Hi All! I need your opinion on whether Fay can stay a Fay or will need a manley name. I read earlier in the thread that hens may feather out quicker which I think she did because she was always a puff ball. She just turn 10 weeks today. She is a cutie and looks like a blaze running across the yard. I look forward to your response.

Hi All! I need your opinion on whether Fay can stay a Fay or will need a manley name. I read earlier in the thread that hens may feather out quicker which I think she did because she was always a puff ball. She just turn 10 weeks today. She is a cutie and looks like a blaze running across the yard. I look forward to your response.
OOOOH so cute.
love.gif
My guess, at 10 weeks, I think roo. I have only my boy to compare to. Hopefully another more experienced cochin raiser will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom