Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

This is my boy Checkers! He's a barred coochin bantam and he is such a doll! I love him. He will fly up onto my lap if I sit down, and I've never seen aNY aggression from him! :)

My 3 year old granddaughter took this picture yesterday I thought I would share.

She told me this is her Needle!
(her name was pompom but I like Needle better and she can have another Chicken at Grandma's)

I am hoping someone on here can help me figure this out.
I have a pair of bantam cochins (purchased and raised together) and 7 standard size hens (1-2 years old), and 3 young Marans (2 of which I think are roos) when I added the bantams in with the hens everything was fine until the bantam rooster matured and started mating. He's simply too small for the standard size hens and ends up riding their backs and tearing them up as a result.

I have recently separated him with his hen and 1 standard size hen that has been a bully and I have purchased two more bantam cochin pullets (they can't go in with him just yet they are only 5 weeks old) My question is will he stay with this new established flock if everyone is free ranging? Or because he used to mate with the standard size hens he will always try if ever given a chance?

The reason I ask is I have the opportunity to get another bantam rooster that is 5 weeks old and these new pullets are so hand raised they are the sweetest chicks I've ever had and wonder if starting out with new rooster that doesn't have this behavior already established is the way to go? Not sure what to do?

I have had a bantam roo with my ladies for 5 years they grew up together. He is the best flock watcher we have had (3). He loves the Ladies and takes very good care of them. Yes he tries to mate them but I have never had problems with injuries. I liken it to a toddler on a pony
lau.gif

When free ranging separate flocks they are always likely to intermingle.

My one hen in particular is a very large orpington and I have separated her from the other hens as well because when I separated her from the rooster the other hens went after her (maybe since she must be his favorite he was protecting her? or her back was so bad they see her as weak?) So now she is in the run with the hens in a separate dog cage and I have ordered a chicken saddle for her? Hoping this does the trick! I guess I always knew roosters would be roosters I wasn't sure if I was deliberately harming my standard size hens by having a bantam.

Can someone direct me to where I can read about feather loss and regrowth?

can anyone help me with what type of bantam.. I was told it was a mix of bantam Cochin x sizzle. But didn't tell me what type. She also told me it was born in April.

Back
Top Bottom