Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I posted in my own thread a couple of days ago (I didn't see this thread), but I haven't gotten any responses. I'm wanting to start my own breeding pens (three of them). One with a white frizzle roo, one with a black frizzle roo, and one with a red frizzle roo. I would like to put two or three hens in each pen with the frizzle male. I understand that I need to breed smooth to frizzle, however, I'm starting with straight. I think I have all of the basics down. I just need to know what hens I can put with each color roo.

The varieties I'm looking at for the hens are (all straight):
White
Red
Black
Blue
Buff
Golden Laced
Mottled
Barred

Any further advice is welcome.

I posted in my own thread a couple of days ago (I didn't see this thread), but I haven't gotten any responses. I'm wanting to start my own breeding pens (three of them). One with a white frizzle roo, one with a black frizzle roo, and one with a red frizzle roo. I would like to put two or three hens in each pen with the frizzle male. I understand that I need to breed smooth to frizzle, however, I'm starting with straight. I think I have all of the basics down. I just need to know what hens I can put with each color roo.

The varieties I'm looking at for the hens are (all straight):
White
Red
Black
Blue
Buff
Golden Laced
Mottled
Barred

Any further advice is welcome.
While i am by no means the genetics expert, if you are just starting and want to maximize your color choices with a minimum of roosters, I would go with the Black rooster and do blue/black/splash hens, anything else mixing colors are at best going to give you splits which means if you are trying to really "breed" you could have a recessive gene pop up later in your program that could make all your hard work to that point mute. You could use mottled with a black, as that is how many of us try to improve our type, but then you are taking those back to your main color for a couple of generations to get your coloring straightened back out.

There are breeders out there that have the knowledge to play with the colors to develop another color or pattern, but they are also raising (and culling) 100's of birds in the process

Perhaps Casey could give some advise about whites as he has some of the best around

So I can't do a pen with a red rooster and red, buff, and golden laced hens and another pen with a black rooster with mottled, blue, and barred hens and keep the lines separate?

I am thinking I might like to try to breed these two when they get old enough. Any thoughts?

The blue Bantam Cochin roo

with this white frizzle if it is a hen if not I have a blue bantam that I think is and could couple him with her instead.
What do you think?
I ordered the white frizzle in Feb. to see if my Granddaughter would let me replace her leghorns with them. no such luck and now reading I should have gone with the black frizzle. Live and learn I guess.

What does *SELF* mean ]
I was reading and it said it meant it carried a lavender gene? Is that what it means?

Yep self blue pretty much means it's lavender. Lavender gene is very different from the Blue gene. The actual color is different too unless you have a super light colored blue which can happen sometimes. Sorry I can't help you sex them... I'm totally new to cochins and was wanting help sexing mine? LOL

Can anyone help sex these 2 cochins. They are almost 3 months old. The dark blue one is noticeably larger than the splash one, but both of their combs & wattles are equally red and about the same size. Like I said earlier I am totally new to cochins, but I suspect they may be boys. I was hoping for girls or a pair
hmm.png

the pics are a bit small, but you can click them to get a better view

Back
Top Bottom