Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AprilsFrizzles, Apr 5, 2012.

1. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks for your answers. I am not opposed to them being eaten as they are, after all, food. So if someone wants to buy them to eat, it's none of my business. Those I want protected are my pets. They will not be eaten. He said all the frizzled were straight run only. If anyone has some females to sell I'll camcel the order, but they must be vaccinated, and that's a lot harder to find. Good to know they are easy to sex! Then I can try to sell them as soon as possible and not get too attached, lol

2. jajeanpierre

jajeanpierre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    I don't mean to be difficult, but I am not sure I agree with your "none of my business" attitude. I think it is always my business how an animal is cared for and dies after it comes into my hands. I can't save the world, but I can save the little part that I personally touch.

Where I live, cock fighting is big--certainly illegal, but it goes on. I know with fighting pit bulls, they use bait dogs. I would think they would use bait cockerels as well. A nice little bantam breed would be good to train a fighting cock to learn on without getting hurt.

I also want to make sure that the animal is humanely slaughtered. I've seen an awful lot of YouTube videos of slaughter going terribly wrong.

In a previous message, a writer brought up the sexed birds that hatcheries sell. The unsold cockerels end up either mixed in with the straight run chicks (but you can't hide too many in there) or they get put into a shredder. I was shocked that day-old chicks are simply shredded alive.

Just my two cents.

3. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    You're not being difficult in the least. I live very rurally and folks here butcher and eat their birds all the time. I'm thrilled when someone takes my roos for food, as they do not go to waste. It is not my talent to butcher or eat my pets, but know many who can, so I think nothing of 'rehoming' them for that purpose. But again, people in these parts are mostly honest and say they want them for food, not make up some hogwash.

4. Frizzled Pink

Frizzled Pink Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Kansas City area
    Just some thoughts about some of the latest posts

1. Hatchery stock, serves its purpose if you are looking for broiler/butcher birds, just egg layers, or just want a pet chicken of no particular kind. Yes most hatchery's have practices that IN MY OPINION are not practices that i care to support. Hatchery are also based on quantity not quality of the bird, so even though the bird is called a (name of breed) that does not necessarily mean you are going to get a pure breed bird.

2. Processed silkie sales is entirely different subject. Their meat, skin, and bones are a black/grey ish color that is revered in certain cultures which leads to them commanding a higher price in some areas. While i love my cochins i know that they are not going to bring a profit as a processed bird. Can you use them for dinner, yes, but be realistic in the size of the bird to how much meat you will be getting.

3. It cost no more to feed up a hatchery bird vs a bird purchased from a breeder. My experience has been that the breeder birds are healthier and more human friendly as they have had more handling than a hatchery chick.

4. Selling the boys. I have not had too many issues with selling my cockerels and the majority of them i still see from time to time at their new homes. Do they sell as well as pullets/hens--no, and that is why you usually see breeders sell pairs/trios/or quads. Again a breeder will most likely be on the better end of this as they are raising pure breed birds and breeding to the standard, 4-H kids become a lot of your market at that point for their projects and the fair. Hatchery birds for the most part, simply do not measure up well in the 4h shows and truthfully mostly are disqualified if they are shown. So i do agree that rehoming hatchery stock may be a challenge.

5 Butcher process--check your local county extension office or state groups here on BYC or facebook. A lot of times there are classes in the butcher process so that if you encounter that you know how to do it efficiently.

6. Vaccinations--touchy subject for a lot of folks, some very strong opinions on both sides, it is best to educate yourself as much as possible and decide what fits your personal scenario best. We are organic here, so for me this is a big no-no, even if i brought in a bird that had been vaccinated it can only ever be "transitional" and cannot be a true organic bird.

5. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Yeah, this. Unfortunately for the cockerels.

Sell me a hen of each leftover color at a really good price. [​IMG]

6. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    I eat all my boys if I cant sell them...
    Lol
    But I do have a lot in my coop as keepers! :)

7. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Just to chime in with my 2 cents:
    I agree with taking responsibility as far as not knowing selling my birds to someone who is going to use them illegally or deliberately treat them inhumanely.
    Beyond what I know, I feel like, once the next owner takes possession, they are responsible for what they do.

Also, I think it's wonderful when a breeder can sell their birds locally and still get to see them and know that they have gone to a good home! =)

8. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    My original post was simply a question as to sexing these chicks, lol, but lots of interesting conversation since. No matter, all my animals are very well cared for and treated and I am responsible, just not an animal placement agency who does background checks on potential buyers. I am new to cochins, not chickens. When more small breeders provide marek's vaccine, less will have to turn to hatcheries for their chicks. Obviously, if you're organic, you can't. And yes, the vaccination question is very controversial. All this is interesting talk, but until you've had marek's first hand, you truly have no idea.

I have a closed flock, do not sell - except for vaccinated hatchery chicks which are kept completely isolated in a clean room so to speak. And then, I only sell to other folks with marek's, and only do so when I've been trying to add to my own flock - not regularly or to make a dime. Save the lectures. I got mareks from a reputable breeder who swore up and down he had nothing. Right! BS. There are many roads in chicken keeping. Assumptions are just silly. I currently have 40 healthy happy chickens from 4 months to 5 years. All vacinated and thriving.

9. Frizzled Pink

Frizzled Pink Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Kansas City area
    Yes, there are many roads in chicken keeping. Most people come to these forums to share ideas and then make an informed decision themselves, as to the health regime of their birds and how to know what you are looking at when purchasing birds from another source, etc. You can call it lectures and assumptions if you choose, it is all in educating yourself to make the best decisions for your individual scenario.

10. CeeJ

CeeJ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    C
    Couldn't agree more. Happy New Year :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by