Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AprilsFrizzles, Apr 5, 2012.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    2 weeks old

2. pugiosam

pugiosam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    How long does it take for cochen bantams to reach sexual maturity

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    my frizzle just started to crow and he is 9 weeks old.

4. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Yep I do get a great hatch rate here which I hear is rare.
    I actually bought half the eggs I hatched off the internet. I purchased eggs from 2 diff breeders in Arkansas and got 2 doz of mixed quality bantam cochins from their stock. I was very happy as almost all of the eggs hatched. So I got a lot of new colors and bloodlines for my coop. Too bad there where lots of roos but I did get new choices to pick from them too.
    I dont have a incubator, as I heard they are hard to use and since I dont know how to use them... I relay on my broodies.
    When I see more then 5 go broody, thats when I purchas eggs and save mine cause I know within the week ill have lots of hens go broody and then I can hatch eggs out.
    I also rotate broody hens when hatching. I use the 1st half of hens that go to start sitting... as the eggs get within a week from hatching, I grab up all the 2nd half that' went broody and but them in my brood cage and stick eggs under them. They do the hatch and as chicks are born and turn fluffy, I pull them and put them in my chick pen where they grow.

6. pugiosam

pugiosam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    Both of my Cochin are at least 5 months and neither has started crowing yet. Though their voices are changing.

7. TeaChick

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    My Cochin is 9 mos old and I think she about ready to start. her comb and waddles have gotten significantly redder as of today.
    Here's hoping!

8. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Good Luck!!!

[​IMG]

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The best hatch rate I have ever had was 92%, I forget exactly how many eggs I had in that batch, it was using an incubator. I use my broodies when I can, but I don't tend to get them often. Maybe now that I have a few cochins they will be good broodies for me. I hatch a lot in my incubator, i thought it sounded complicated at first, but it really isn't. I have a lot of fun with it.

10. TeaChick

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    I'm having to start with a bator, but I'm hoping my Cochin will at least help.
    Maybe once I've hatched out some of her pullets, then maybe I can use them exclusively. [​IMG]

Thanks! =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by